Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Identity Property in Another DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickj65

Programmer
Jun 5, 2002
US
I'm writing a proc in one database that will find all tables in a different database that have an Identity column (and then ultimately reseed the Identity).

I can determine if a table has an Identity column by running the following within the current db...

select objectproperty(object_id('mydb..mytable'), 'TableHasIdentity')

The result = 1

However, the problem I'm having is that I need to execute this so it determines the tables with Identity columns in a different db. If I try to run the query from a different database connection in QA, it returns NULL.

Ultimately, I want to execute this in a stored procedure where I pass the database name as a parameter and use dynamical SQL to create the cursor of table names, and then reseed those tables by looping through the cursor. Unfortunately, I can't issue the "USE mydb" statement in the stored proc which would solve the problem.

Any ideas or other workarounds?

Thanks,

Rick

CREATE PROCEDURE test

@PassDatabase varchar(20)

AS

exec('use ' + @PassDatabase )
select * from table1_sql
GO

why won't this work

why won't this work"...

Because I didn't think of it. It didn't even occur to me that I should've used dynamic SQL to set the database connection.

Thanks for the suggestion...it works like a charm!

Regards,

Rick

Are you sure?

Database gets changed only within exec().

------
heisenbug: A bug that disappears or alters its behavior when one attempts to probe or isolate it
schroedinbug: A bug that doesn't appear until someone reads source code and realizes it never should have worked, at which point the program promptly stops working for everybody until fixed.

[ba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back