Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting GROUP top vavues in report 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigi1

Technical User
Mar 5, 2001
IN
Hi Access experts
I am a new user to Access.
I have a table of monthly production running into years of data
I want to make a report that shows only the top 3 values for every month - how can I get it ?
I tried topvalue(top 3) but that gives only top 3 values for the whole table, not every month.
Kindly help. I have been pulling out my hair over this.

Thanks in advance
Tigi1

Yes, I've been doing some reading up-and its been good.
Thanks for drawing attention to the multiuser enviro where other users may set about changing the yes and no. Yes this may come up at a later date. Right now users dont have permission to fiddle with tables. In fact if you recall, the problem of getting out the top3 in report was already through in my posting of 11march. A similar approach, but playing around with the visible property of section.

Since then my primary concern was to get the same records out into exel. The exp2exl form will have very limited access permissions to avoid any mixup of yes/no business!.
For the rest,I'll wait and see how things evolve.

What's possibly remaining now is to see if the same thing can be done in an efficient manner via query.(Help Gord!)

By the way I just wonder why BILL and his friends left out a SQL command like 'GTOP n' which would have extracted top n values in grouped data. Maybe its kept for the next version ?

Regards
Tigi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back