Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting from movie back to html page

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherRun

Technical User
May 18, 2004
US
Hey, some guidence;

At the end of my movies, I have a button that is meant to return the viewer back to the web page from which they launched the movie. (yes, they can close the window that opened up, but some people might not realize that's all they have to do, thus i'd like a simple 'close this window button' sort of thing.

Now the books that i have talk about getURL, but that seems to be if i want to leave the website for another (or maybe not!).

So i have the 'onrelease' and the web page i'd like it to return called ../map.html, now i just need some guidence on the proper script for it, if someone could help.

thanks
Hoss

Are you closing the window or going back to the previous page in the browser window that the Flash movie is in?

Wow JT that almost looked like you knew what you were doing!

hey pix;
I guess either way. There's this map, with a few buttons saying movie 1, 2 ect. When they press a button, that triggers the flash player and a new window opens up and movie plays. So for those of us who understand this, we realize that the map is still there just hidden by this new window; close the window, you're back on map.

I guess i see it as closing the window, though it feels like we're 'going back' to the previous page.

Does that help?
Hoss

I'd like to borrow this thread for something similar.

To open a window, we can use the:

on(release){
getURL("javascript:eek:penWindow()");
}

and we need to add this function into the header of the parent html document.

Is it possible not to include the javascript function into the html document but still use the getURL() to the same effect?

I have seen someone include the whole javacript function in the getURL() action, but why would you want/need to do that?

Yep just like that! :)

yeah... thanks. that's what i'm looking for. it's easier this way as when everytime i publish the html page from flash, i have to retype the javascript portion into the html document.

But then when you want to change some feature, you always have to open up the Flash file and re-compile, you can't just edit the html.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back