Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting email address from hyperlink 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AOLBoy

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2002
GB
I have an excel worksheet that contains cells which have an envelope icon. In excel if I move my mouse over the icon the mail address is displayed. Is there any way that I can obtain this information programmatically using VBA?

Any solutions would be gratefully appreciated and save me a lot of time. Thanks

You need to access its hyperlink, depending on you have a cell or shape:
Code:
Dim h As Hyperlink
Set h = ActiveSheet.Range("A1").Hyperlinks(1)
MsgBox Right(h.Address, Len(h.Address) - 7)
Set h = ActiveSheet.Shapes(1).Hyperlink
MsgBox Right(h.Address, Len(h.Address) - 7)

combo

Thanks for this combo. I am having a bit of trouble.

Firstly, as the hyperlinks I am trying to unravel are small envelopes that I copied and pasted from an internet site - I assume these would be classed as 'shapes'.

In your example you coded

Set h = ActiveSheet.Shapes(1).Hyperlink

Is it possible for me to replace 'ActiveSheet' with 'ActiveCell.Offset(x,y)' as this is the way I am looping through the worksheet cells?

Regards

It is rather hard to get directly a shape in a given range so rather loop all shapes (and test for hyperlink) or hyperlinks (and test for shape). If you need to limit validation to a given area, check TopLeftCell or bottomRightCell for the shape returned. An example, without the latest validation:
Code:
Dim hs As Hyperlinks, h As Hyperlink, sFullAddress As String
Set hs = ActiveSheet.Hyperlinks
If hs.Count > 0 Then
    For Each h In hs
        If TypeName(h.Parent) = "Shape" And (h.Address Like "mailto:*") Then
            sFullAddress = h.Address
            MsgBox Right(sFullAddress, Len(sFullAddress) - 7)
        End If
    Next h
End If

combo

So to get information from the shape I need to read through the shapes. Whilst doing this is there anyway to determine the cell location of the shape on the worksheet? I want to take the email address from the shape/hyperlink and write into the cell to the left of where the shape is located.

See TopLeftCell or BottomRightCell properties.

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back