Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting e-mail out

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKinghan

IS-IT--Management
Sep 5, 2001
GB
Hi all,

I've set up a user account on our W2K server for someone who mostly works outside of our office. I've instructed their e-mail host to also forward mail to an address that's on our Exchange server so that he can get his mail sent to 2 locations i.e. our office and his office. This works fine but the problem arises when someone who also has an e-mail account and a user account on our server, tries to send a mail to that person when he's not in our office i.e. when they try to send it externally. It doesn't go outside of our office because he has a 'local' user account here i.e. he can't get it. I've tried disabling his user account but it didn't do anything.

Can anyone advise me please?

Not quite sure I understand this completely, but I'll try...maybe you could create a Custom Recipient which points to his external account (home) and then create a distribution list which contains his internal account (office) and the new CR (home) as members. Set Display Name of this distribution list and the alias to that which is normally the internal account (office)...(of course change office account first). When users send to this DL, it would go to both places. You could also hide the office account from GAL so users don't send to it directly.

You could just set up the one internal account and create a rule that forwards a copy of all incomming mail to the external address.

We use this method for our external sales people, we set them up with NDO accounts and then create a email address on our server 'JoeBloggs@MyCompany.co.uk' with a rule as descibed above.

This give us two main advantages;

1) We get to keep a copy of everthing they are sent (their laptop tends to turn up empty if they go and work somewhere else)

2) We get to put a corporate looking email address on their business cards.

Dazz GuiltyMaggot - The best rock band in the world!

Hi guys,

Thanks for your responses. I'm still not sure I understand! Sorry! Let me try and make it more clear. On our exchange we have a user account joebloggs@company1.com. Now Joe works here and in another office and wishes to have all mail sent him available here and in his other office. He also works for a different company, Company2, for example. Therefore on Exchange I've set up 2 internet addresses, joebloggs@company1.com and joe.bloggs@company2.com. The company1 address is there so we can pick up his mail and bring it down onto our server and the company 2 address was set as his reply address so that people see the correct company name when he e-mails them. Obviously we don't want people seeing our company name i.e. Company1! So what was happening was that mail sent by someone in Company1 to joe.bloggs@company2.com was not leaving our mail server i.e. he didn't get when in his other office. I've since removed the internet address joe.bloggs@company2.com i.e. the reply address and mail now goes externally however when joe is back in the office (tomorrow!) i will need to put back his old reply address i.e. joe.bloggs@company2.com so that people don't see our company address in his e-mail address! AHH!

Sorry guys but if you could offer a solution I would be very grateful.

Dazz I think you were onto something there...can you help?

Cheers

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back