Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting DID from IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banner1971

Technical User
May 22, 2013
US
Without going into too much detail of strange devices you all have probably never heard of, we have a device that we would like to present DID calls to. The cost of an actual DID line might be prohibitive. We have an internet service provider in our vault who could sell a connection to us.

We need a box that would translate calls on the IP connection to DID, i.e. close the physical loop and dump digits to the device, and then handle the conversation until ended.

Additionally, we need to figure out who would handle the various incoming phone numbers, to route them to this DID system.

Thoughts?

You might need to go into detail if you want an answer on this.
How is your interner provider delivering phone service via an ip connection? I assume it would be SIP.

What type of connection do you need into your "device"?
What is that device?

Lets start there

The internet provider is just an internet provider. One part of the problem is that I need someone to provide the phone numbers and make the call go onto the IP network so I can get it in the vault.

The device is a phone-to-radio interconnect. It will provde battery and loop current, accept DID calls and then route them to the correct user based on the digits it hears.

So when a customer gets a phone call on one of the numbers, I need the gadget in the vault to go off hook, dump the digits, and do whatever other functions are usually required of the CO in a standard DID setup.

a PBX phone system can get the calls on your SIP trunk and connect analog extensions to your device putting out the DTMF to identify the number called.
The system I know can do it (but I guess all can do it as it seems a basic feature) is the Avaya IP Office and the setting on the analog extensions port is called DTMFF. I use that for fax servers to identify the number called and send it then to the correct email.

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS (SME), ACIS (SME)

Interrupt the silence only if you improve it by saying something, otherwise be quiet and everybody will be grateful.

You need SIP in and analog DID out (emulating the CO). You'll find Adtran has a widget that will serve the purpose. Call them - their pre-sales folks are very good.

SIP in, analog DID out...that is exactly right.

I will look into it when I get to work in the morning. Any other suggestions for vendors? How about SIP providers?

Also, FYI, this is going to always be a very low volume setup. Probably never more than 15 DID numbers and one, maybe 2 DID trunks.

Look at the AudioCodes MP-114 or the like with FXO ports to emulate the CO.

ACSS- CM and CMM
Have you tried to turn it off and turn it on again?

I believe many companies also use the Adtran Total Access 900 series for transition between IP and PRI / FXS

The TA series from Adtran is a good box also.

ACSS- CM and CMM
Have you tried to turn it off and turn it on again?

If I had more details I could send it off to our engineers to design a custom solution.

norstarguru

We do this all the time edgemarc devices with syntelsolutions

ddcommllc.com
Avaya/Toshiba/SyntelSolutions

ACIS

"Will work for stars

How will I go about finding a good, reasonably priced SIP provider? Call volume will be low. I will need something for outgoing, too, though it could be as simple as a Magic Jack, but it would be nice to have it display caller ID on a per-user basis so something IP would be nice there too. Outgoing calls are over a simple end to end line.

We are a sip provider and there are tons of them out there a simple google search would more then likely turn up with millions of hits.

Where are you located

ddcommllc.com
Avaya/Toshiba/SyntelSolutions

ACIS

"Will work for stars

[tt]Banner1971,

You might contact a company called NOCONTRACTVOIP.COM, they may have what you need. They have access to many numbers anywhere in the US just for your purpose. Ask for Chris.

....JIM....[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back