Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting data off an old laptop hard drive -USB option?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirkkupid

IS-IT--Management
Jun 21, 2008
Hello,

My sister's hard drive on her Toshiba laptop failed recently, under warranty a new hard drive was installed.

Toshiba sent back thr laptop woth the new hard drive installed and also returned the old hard drive.

They did not copy any data from the old hard drive - but i believe that the data maybe rescueable.

Does anyone know how i can get some of the data off of this old hard drive?
Is there any cable that i can buy with a USB connection, to go straight from the old hard drive to the laptop?

It's a Toshiba HDD2165 Hard drive.

Many thanks.

You can certainly buy a small case for an external hard disk drive which will plug into a USB port. My information tells me this is a 30Gb 2.5" IDE drive. Here's a couple of examples:-

U.K. -
U.S. -
If the drive has completely failed electrically or mechanically, you may be wasting your money. If, however, the operating system on that drive has become corrupted or damaged, or some bad blocks have developed, then it may be possible to retrieve some or all of the data.

Hope that helps...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Brilliant, thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

The problem with those adapters (I have two) is that some of them dont provide enough power on the 2.5 connector to fully power the drive. The AC adapter is only for 3.5 drives (obviously).

Ahhk!

The NexStar device has a power brick. I have not played with one yet, but if it does as advertised it seems like a great tool for those of us that need to access a bunch of different drives.

Right now I have a 2.5" IDE case, a 3.5" IDE case, and a 3.5" SATA case. I'd love to just have ONE device that does everything, that you just pop the drive in and go. We will see if that's the case with the NexStar.

Tony

Users helping Users...

I use a CoolMax CD-350-Combo Multifunction Converter and it does 2.5, 3.5, 5.25 IDE and SATA and it has it's own power supply. It works great. bought it on Ebay for about $10.

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back