Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting confused with Routing

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb3rsil

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
GB
Hello,

Here is my current situation. I look after two networks, an admin and an education network. They are both completely seperate from one another.

The admin network has the IP scheme 192.168.0.0-255
The education network has the IP scheme 192.168.42.0-254

Both networks have a link to isdn router for internet access, therefore the router ip is the default gateway for both networks (obviously on two separate interfaces).

This is going to change however with a new internet connection and the router not being able to support it and therefore I need to setup the following :-

The new internet server will be attached to the education network with the ip 192.168.42.(to be decided)

I have installed two network cards into a w2k server box and got two links, one for the education and one for the admin. I can ping both networks successfully from this box. What I need to do now is allow the admin network to get access to the internet server. So I am assuming that I can set up the default gateway on the w2k server box to be that of the internet server and then set the default gateway for all the admin network machines to be the ip address for router? I know I need to use RRAS but I have got myself all muddled with route paths and NATs and everything else (argh!).
I am thoroughly confused about how I can set this up as all the info on the web points basically to internet connection sharing which is what I want, but more complicated. If anyone could give me some step by steps or point me somewhere on the web that could help I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Amb3rsil

Helo Amb3rsil,

I've got some ideas ...
Did you parametered the static routes and IP forwarding for your 2 LANS ?

I mean for instance if you have one netcard 192.168.1.1 on the subnet 192.168.1.x with netmask of 255.255.255.0, you must add the static route of 192.168.1.0 with netmask 255.255.255.0 et gateway 192.168.1.1.
(RRAS console)

Idem for the other NIC.

Then you'd have to activate IP forwarding.
Edit the registry key :

'HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters'

and add the following value :

Value Caption = IPEnableRouter
Value Type = REG_DWORD
Value Data = 1

Be careful with that key, depending of which filtering, sharing, routing and forwarding network services you have, you can crash the server. Backup !

Hope that helps,
@+
;-)
Benj Le Kangooru.

Just an aditionnal tip :
I forgot to say that the default gateway will have to become the Win2k RRAS server Lan NIC IP adress on the client PCs network configuration.
But you already have guessed that, ain't it ? lol ;-)

@+
Benj Le Kangooru.

Thanks for advice, however I am still completely baffled!

I changed the registry setting and then went into the static route section of routing and remote access and started adding some routes to the table, like you suggested but I am confused at this point..

What interface, destination, mask, and gateway should I use?
Because ive tried a few combinations and they do not seem to work. Do I need to worry about NAT or RIP or anything else??

Because the two networks are quite far apart im testing it by attempting to ping a workstation on the admin network (its ip is 192.168.0.28) with a workstation from education network (its ip is 192.168.42.80 and has its default gateway set to the w2k server box 192.168.42.244) Will this work or am I going about it the wrong way? Do I need to set the admin workstation gateway setting as well to 192.168.42.244?? Oh im getting a headache! argh

JUST to recap on the details

my admin network is 192.168.0.0

my education network is 192.168.42.0

I have set the network card attached to the admin network to be 192.168.0.244 (This will be the default gateway that I set on the admin network workstations correct?)

And I have set the network card attached to the education network to be 192.168.42.244 (The default gateway for this card will be the IP address of the internet server/router correct?)

I would be most grateful for any help I could get on this as my boss is going mad at me :)

Thanks,

Amb3rsil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back