Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting back on track...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyforhire

Technical User
Mar 11, 2008
US
A few months ago i took my ccent and got a 791 :( I took a few months off but now i'm ready to start hitting it hard.

I picked up the 31 days until your ccent test, also i picked up the Cisco IOS CookBook 2nd edition. So starting today it's on like Donkey Cong! Look forward to being back on Tek-Tips!

Good luck with that, but you should have not stopped until it was completed... It's like starting over!!!

[americanflag] Go Army!
Tek-TIP Member 19,650

bobbyforhire,

Welcome back!!!

Key to all of this is LEARNING BY DOING !!!!!!

Read the material and then get in your lab and DO IT !!!!

You DO have a lab? I just do not remember :) Just reading and rereading just does not do it for this stuff!!!

Good luck and read back the past couple of pages of posts to get caught up ......

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Bobby,

You might want to know that your quest & persistance truely inspires an old, lazy dog like me to start rounding up all my company "obsolete" Cisco gears and start playing around with it.
Never thought that I have so much fun with 2514s, 2610s, a couple 2950 and lately my prize 1811 ( yeah it does the SDM ! ).

Last week , my 6 years old and I had a blast when I accidentally caused a end less loop on them 2950s . Well after tired of looking at them lights, I dig in an read about STP instead of taking my usual nap.
Don't know for sure if I truely need another certification but I anm learning so much by just lurking round here.

Thank you all,

Ahh yes the lab...

1 (2924XL SWITCH)
1 (3540 SWITCH)
1 (2502 ROUTER)
1 (2611 ROUTER)
1 (1720 ROUTER)
1 (2651XM ROUTER)
1 (2948G -CatOs but hey it's still a switch)
1 (Cisco PIX- not needed for what i'm doing but good to know and have at home)

I even picked up a 16u stand to hold all of it.

As for forgetting this stuff...i have taken this test twice..so i've still got the jus of it all down but lab work is key this time around as that was my downfall the past two tests!

thank you all...now back to work :)

Bobby,

I am working on CCNA Voice and Billy just passed CCNA Security, I know I am doing videos/CBT's, books, forums and TONS of HANDS-ON labs. Billy posted what he did for his and it was the same as me or I should say we BOTH are following a tried and true method :)

As you tire of one option move to another always coming back to try things in your lab. As you read something or see it discussed online here at Tek-Tips or the Cisco forum at or The Cisco Learning Network -

TRY IT IN YOUR LAB, and make sure your lab is a lab - not your connection to the Internet!!! I say this because if it is your Internet connection, you don't want to break the connection to try things and if you do, you will have a heck of a time researching what you need to do if you get stuck :) Your "lab" has got to be there for you to TRY EVERYTHING you see or read about!!

Keep "production" routers seperate from lab routers!!!

If you want, use the PIX for your Internet connection, YOU REALLY DON'T NEED A PIX IN THE MIX FOR CCNA - THE CLI IS DIFFERENT, 'nuff said :)

As for your lab, try to get 2 WIC-1Ts, 1 for the 2611 and the other for the 2651XM, then you can use the 2502 for your Frame Relay switch and connect the 2 routers to the 2502's serial ports. You can also put 1 of each of the other WICs you got with the 2651 in each and have another connection between the 2 routers to configure.

Normally on exam questions routers connect to other routers with their WAN or serial ports, the Ethernet ports are what are connected to the LANs - your switches and then the PC's are connected to the switches. PC's will have a direct connection to the router or switch with a console cable to the console port. If your lab is set up this way, you will get used to seeing it and working with it that way and then when you have a question or a sim and it shows -
Code:
PC1---Switch1---Router1---Router2---Router3---Switch2---PC2

or even 

PC1--\
      >---Switch1---Router1---Router2---Switch2---Server
PC2--/

You will be ready for it!!!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda

Welcome back Bobby,
I was asking about you a few weeks ago! Glad to see that you didn't give up! Try to pick up the CBTNuggets CCNA series if you can! They are definitely helpful for the hands on stuff! I used them as lab material.. meaning.. I watched them then went back and played.. paused.. then did the config myself.. play.. pause and do it again! Especially the ICND2 part! If you do this and start from scratch you will be setting up things like router on a stick through every video! You will definitely be a pro by the time you finish!

As far as the lab/internet.. I seem to remember that you have no choice but to lab with your internet connection.. It will be fine but set a backup path out and don't toy around with it! That way if worse comes to worse you have internet access!

Good luck!

B Haines
CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Billy,

Buy.com - $26 for an Internet router :)

And I am sure you can find others at New Egg, Amazon, Tiger Direct etc. I saw a Zytel for $21 earlier today.

The key is you need to be able to blow away the config and start from scratch and configure the router again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and ........................... :)

E.A. Broda

Madwok... You mentioned SDM on that 1800 series router of yours in another thread.. You should download CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional)! It's pretty sweet!!!

B Haines

Bobby,
You should add this to your CCENT study arsenal... It's free and only in it's (demo) version which means that Cisco is still adding to it (Don't think they will charge!) but it could definitely help and it's aimed at CCENT!

CISCO MINDSHARE GAME

B Haines

Mac - Right now i havn't touched my lab, but have been working on collecting things here and there when i see good deals. And that Cisco Game was awesome just have to remember to keep adding the +500's before I answer to get the high scores :). As for using the cisco hardware for the testing/production side of things i have "winged" my way off of that situtation by using my PIX as my dhcp/router/switch for the "internal" network and just leaving an open port so my lab can get out and also while i'm working i can vpn to my house to play around with my lab in my spair time. Just talking about it right now i'm getting excited about getting back into it.

CiscoGuy33 - On the other post you said the 2950's have dropped, i kinda made a leap off into the 3500 series with the 3540 (wish it was a 3550 for the routing). If anyone out there wants to trade a 2948G and a 2610 for your 3550 ill be more than happy to trade :)

oh yeah my 2651XM comes in tomorrow..here are the specs on it

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r], RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Router uptime is 1 hour, 0 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload
System image file is "flash:c2600-advipservicesk9-mz.123-4.T4.bin"

Cisco 2651XM (MPC860P) processor (revision 0x300) with 125952K/5120K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID JAE08127JGM (3680305465)
M860 processor: part number 5, mask 2
2 FastEthernet interfaces
2 Serial(sync/async) interfaces
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
32K bytes of NVRAM.
32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2142

Router#show running-config
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 776 bytes
!
version 12.3
service timestamps debug datetime msec
service timestamps log datetime msec
no service password-encryption
!
hostname Router
!
boot-start-marker
boot-end-marker
!
!
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
!
ip audit notify log
ip audit po max-events 100
ip ssh break-string
no ftp-server write-enable
!
no crypto isakmp enable
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial0/0
no ip address
shutdown
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
no ip address
shutdown
duplex auto
speed auto
!
interface Serial0/1
no ip address
shutdown
!
ip classless
!
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
!
control-plane
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
!
end

Bobby,

You got a great deal on the 2651XM :) and you DON'T have to put SDM on the router if the FLASH is full, you can run it from Windows. You do need to work with SDM and CLI.

You said -
"Just talking about it right now i'm getting excited about getting back into it."

This is the best thing that you said - you HAVE to be EXCITED about this - you can not fake it - IF YOU DO NOT LIKE THIS - IT IS TIME TO FIND SOMETHING ELSE THAT YOU DO LIKE !!!!!

And that statement is for EVERYONE reading this - so many of my students start "CISCO" because the $$$$$ and NO LOVE, they QUICKLY drop out - nothing wrong - if you don't like it don't do it - I can not stand the sight of blood - SOOOOOOO I am NOT a doctor - both my sisters are in the medical fields and doing GREAT !!!!!!!

Glad that you got the PIX running your Internet connection and the lab is seperate, you have seen the questions on the ICND1 exam so you know what the sims are like and how the diagrams are setup as well as the other test question examples - set your lab the same way.

I ALSO love the weird Cisco stuff, I have a bunch of it - but I keep it seperate and only play with it between exams - you are in CCNA/ICND1/ICND2 mode - stick to what will help you pass these exams. I have watched several 2950's go for $30 each today on Ebay - these were $120 6-7 months ago, no they are not EI image but for CCNA they will work.

DO NOT WORRY ABOUT LAYER 3 SWITCHES - THINK CCNA, CCNA, CCNA :)

Glad you are back and it looks like you are back on track !!!!!

E.A. Broda

Also, Candela is selling 3550 switches for $220! If you have some extra mula that is a pretty good deal!!!

B Haines

Those 2948G's are nice---I have 3 of them. They do STP just like any 2950. I even had one trunking to a 2611 doing router on a stick! Yes, a 10MBps ethernet interface doing full duplex!

Burt

That's cool.. Have not had an opportunity to play around with one yet but I like the 2950's! Really want a 3550/3560 AND ONE DAY a 3750 (x2 so that I can play with StackWise)! By the way the 2950 EI's support GigaStack which is (kinda) similar!

B Haines

Maczen,

2950s are nice, the only limitation I see so far is they are not a L3 switches and can not do rapid spanning tree ( at least on the three that I have . Other than that, I am happy with them as my boss let me collect as many as need to learn. Our CIO is gradually replacing them with 2960 for the POE feature and pushing hard at replacing all our traditional PBX to Call Managers.

Burtsbees,

I did not know that you can do router on a stick with 2611. Just wonder if I got a wrong image for this kinda stuff ?

Thanks,

Madwok

madwok,

Yes, you can do router-on-a-stick with a 2611/2610 10baseT routers with the right IOS.

Burt,

PLEASE post the name of the IOS, I want to say it was the IP Plus and came out with 12.2???? IOS but I need to mark it down because this comes up every so often!!!

E.A. Broda

madwok, you can do rapid spanning-tree on the 2950's. I've got dozens out there doing it. Don't know if it's a difference in feature set though.

Hey CiscoGuy33,

I'm doing router on stick with my 2610. IOS version12.2(46a).

Cheers,

Paul

I have been real busy, setting up a new office, etc. I just acquired three 2610's, and I will post the IOS version for RoaS with an ethernet interface. Basically, if you can make the ethernet interface full duplex...

router(config-if)#dupl full

then you should be good...

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back