Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting away from Dlookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spyridon

Technical User
Jun 27, 2003
US
Hey

I'm drowning in a sea of Dlookups. I thought they were a really great idea, and the only fix that I knew of when I created the database. I was the only user though too.. But now.... My company decided to use the database system wide, about 300 people. It needs to be upgraded to SQL Server, which doesn't use Dlookup. Can some one point me in the right direction as far as alternatives? I have unfortunately used the silly thing in just about every query, form, report, etc.. Ok, maybe not that much, but close.

Here is an example of a query with it:

QDailySales

SELECT Sales.[Work Order Number], Sales.[Expanded Basic], Sales.[Promo Expanded
Basic], Sales.Classic, Sales.[Promo Classic], Sales.[Classic Plus], Sales.[Promo
Classic Plus], Sales.Silver, Sales.[Promo Silver], Sales.Gold, Sales.[Promo
Gold], Sales.Platinum, Sales.[Promo Platinum], Sales.HSI, Sales.[Promo HSI],
Sales.[Upgrade to Expanded], Sales.[Upgrade to Digi], Sales.Status, Sales.[Sales
ID]
FROM Sales
WHERE (((Sales.[Sales ID])=DLookUp("[SalesID]","LocalUser")) AND
((Sales.[Today's Date])=Date()));

Anyhow, any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a decent knowledge of Access, and now I'm just starting to look at SQL Server, so please no answers in assembly language or the equivalent. :)

I get the impression that you are using dlookups a a substitute for relationships. Do you know how to set relationships between two tables?

Thanks Steve, that was basically the problem, and that solved it. With an extra kudo that I learned a bit more about relationships and joins. woo hoo! thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back