Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting around 256 char limit

Status
Not open for further replies.

cytrohead

Programmer
Nov 20, 2001
PH
Hello! Need help badly.

I have a report where we I have display several sets of running totals. For reason's report report design i decided to use manual running totals instead of the automated one. Anyway, the running totals come out fine but I cannot put them all in one formula -> I have to display 218 running totals, and i have to do about 20 columns using different parameters of these. I've figured out how to do all these it's just the display that's giving me a problem. Main reason i need help: It's very tedious to put each one in their own formula (218 formulas) 20 times (20 columns, each one with a unique parameter)

I tried putting the variables of the @display part of the manual running total in an array and use a for loop to display them to trick crystal but, as the manual said, that would just display the TRUE value. Any suggestion on displaying all 218 formulas without putting them in their own formula boxes?

Thanks a lot guys, i am extermely open for any help / suggestion!

Are these numeric or character variables?
What does the 256 limit have to do with it?
I am not sure what the "20 columns" means?
How do you want to arrange the display? Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guide to using Crystal in VB
tek@kenhamady.com

Hi Thanks for you reply,

I agree my predicament is a bit confusing, but heck i'm creating general ledger reports for a national bank, nothing is more confusing than these.

I am attempting to display numeric variables. The 256 character limit is the amount of information that a formula is supposed to display. But the thing is I want to display the values of 218 variables, each one separated by a chr(13), in the formula. But the CR8 kept on repeating this violation. As for the columns, i'm just stressing that well the reason i want to put them all in just one formula is that i have to do this 20 times, each column has a unique set of values.

There's a couple of ways to do this, but they'e all a little tricky... if I read your posts correctly, you're (in effect) creating a 'spreadsheet' of width 20 columns and n rows. If THAT assumption is correct, let e know.. we can look at a couple of options from there. ECS DataSystems, Inc.
A Crystal Partner

Yup, that's is perhaps the nearest visualization of my problem. Actually, i think this is the simplest explanation i can give:
1. I created several manual running totals.
2. All of them have their variables intialized in just one formula, with display suppresed.
3. All of them have their variables evaluated in just one formula in the detail section, with display suppressed.
4. Now my problem: I can't have them all display in just one formula because of the 256 character limit that formulae can display. So i had to subdivided the final summed up variables into several formula so that they could be displayed. <- very tedious, im sticking iwth this for now just to get things finished.

One solution i thought of was using a for loop to trick CR8 into thinking i was just displaying one item at a time. That is using the for loop to display the contents of the varaibles (now in an arrary) one at a time. This didn't work. As predicted by the user's guide, the formula would just end up displaying the word TRUE.

PLEASE HELP! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back