Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting ActiveX component can't create object

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeoz

Programmer
Oct 18, 2001
US
I created a dll that is going to be distributed to my clients and a sample program that demonstrates how to use the dll. I built the dll in a directory c:/vb and created the executable in that directory. The dll also uses msxml3.dll.

When I run the tested executable in the c:/vb directory everything runs fine, but when I run it from another location, it does not work and I get that ActiveX error message.

I'm new to VB and these are my first dll and exe attempts. I tried all kinds of things including moving the dll to the system32 directory and having it in the same directory as the exe when I try to run it.

Can someone please help me figure this out? Thanks.

You could try registering the dll on the machines you want to use it on by using regsvr32.

If you use the package nd deployment wizard that comes with VB it will figure out all the supporting files you need to deploy your dll and create you a setup.exe that will do the installation for you.

I have Visual Studio 6 and tried using Package & Deployment Wizard. I'm not sure what nd deploment wizard is or how to use it. Anyway, I used the Package & Deployment Wizard and was able to "install" my dll along with msxml3.dll but when I ran the tester, it still did not work.

Could the tester have information stored in it about the location of the dll's?

Thank you for the help. I used the P&D Wizzard and eventually discovered my issues. There were several other dll's that needed to be included to run the program. The P&D Wizzard detected them and packaged them with the dll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back