Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Getting Access to differnt subnet

Status
Not open for further replies.

VieiraR

MIS
Jul 3, 2003
US
Hi,

I created a VPN box using Windows Server 2003. The box asigns IP address within a set range allowing for a max of 10 cals. One problem I am having is when at home I connect up to the VPN box and am assigned IP address of let say 192.168.10.90 Sub 255.255.255.255 and gateway assing by the box. However I need to access my web server thats on anothe subnet of 192.168.1.2 we will say. Whoever because it is not with in range I can not access it connection times out. What would be the best way for me to access this system. Can I create a group that will be assign specific IP and the gateway of the internal router or would a static route work. Any help would be great. If you need any clarification just let me know. I have a hard time writing my thoughts sometimes. Especially at the end of the day.

You have 2 choices:
1. Make each machine multi-homed (2 NIC's on each box and connect them by switch or crossover cable.

2. Get a router to route between the subnets. If your web serer is visible (as opposed to an intranet), then you'd mave to use option 1 anyway.

The web sever is connected to a switch with or external NIC for the VPN. The switch is connected to the Firewalls DMZ port. The Web server has an ip of 168.192.1.5 while or VPN's extrenal NIC has a similar IP. The firewall NAT's the external published addresses to the respective servers. When I connect to or VPN I recieve an internal IP ie 192.168.152.90. The range I set in the VPN was from 89 to 99. The subnet it gives me is 255.255.255.255 gateway is 192.168.152.89. I am able to get through out or 192.168.152.0:255 subnet but bot into the Web server on the 192.168.1.? subnet. What would be the easiest way to be able to get to this box? I hope I explained myself better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back