Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getting a web pages up on the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmcrorey

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
US
This is the first time I have created a web site - so all the language and lingo is very new to me. I have designed a website that has 140 pages - it's a directory and shopping mall along with advertising B&B's for every state- so it has all of these areas in it - should these be saved as separate files or should it be one large file all hyperlinked together.

My other problem is I can't get it downloaded on the internet. I'm using Publisher 97 and created it with the Wizard, but when I tried to transfer it to the next it came up in computer giberage. A friend that can read html codes said that it wasn't in html codes. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if there is something wrong with the program. How hard would it be to import it into another program without starting all over. I have worked on this for months.

Please Help.

Afraid I don't have a solution for you right now - as you can see in the other threads in this forum, there are a BUNCH of us in pretty much the same boat.

My wife desiged a site in Publisher 2002 and tried to upload it. Ended up sending a 585K main page (NOT named index.html as required by the server) and a folder containing 115 images. Tried renaming the home page to index.html but then none of the pages could find each other - they're tightly linked together in that file and in the subdirectory of images. Obviously that didn't work.

Next step was to generate HTML code - which the Publisher 2002 can't do as far as we can tell.

I finally had her save it as a Publisher 98 file, ignored the warnings about incompatibilities, and pulled the site into Publisher 98. Publisher 98 let's you save as HTML via a command on the 'File' menu so I did that and went into an HTML editor to try and edit it. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that the HTML 'page' was in actuality exported as a single graphic image - which can't be changed with any tool known to mankind as far as I can tell. Biggest hassle here is the HTML links to my wife's ccNow shopping cart - they're part of the image and can't be seen/interpreted by the browser.

I have 37+ years' experience in computers, have built several web sites, programmed in 50 or 60 different languages on 100+ platforms - and this is the stupidest, most frustrating and definitely most irritating thing I've ever encountered.

We're working to try and find a solution - I'm talking with some folks here at work who do web development for my company (their initial reaction to my story: the made the sign of the cross (no disrespect intended) and looked at me pitingly because my wife had used any version of Publisher to do a web site). They don't know if they can help or not but they're a talented group - if I learn anything from them I'll be sure and post it here everyone else to use.

And, if you happen to run onto a magic bullet that fixes these kinds of problems, let me know here as well.

Have a good day ... ??? <g>

One of the major problems with Publisher is that it's &quot;web page publishing&quot; feature is an afterthought. X-) It was designed for flyers, newsletters, etc. that can be sent to a printer. A web site is a completely different animal and unfortunately Publisher does a crappy job at it. It's like hiring a surgeon to represent you in court...you really need a lawyer. Both are professionals, but the surgeon really doesn't know much about legal issues.
Publisher loves to nest tables and will almost always create a web page that's incredibly more complex than it needs to be and almost impossible to simplify manually. Another annoying feature is that if a graphic file overlays a text box by the slightest fraction of a pixel, it converts the entire secton of the page to a graphic file.
For web publishing you'd be better off going to something like FrontPage unless you need a print-friendly version of your page. If you need that you might want to look into Adobe Acrobat. It does a good job of duplicating web pages for print, although it takes a lot of additional work if you want to restore the interactive features of a page.

-algraff ::)

The prurchase price of FrontPage is MUCH less than the price you'll pay in frustration trying to use Publisher to do web sites. Listen to algraff's advice. Publisher should not have the web site feature in it. It was a very BAD afterthought.

I've been there. Jon Holmen

I've been able to successfully launch a simple homepage using Publisher98! I would like to add a simple guestbook, but I can't seem to make the Insert/HTLM code fragment option to work. It LOOKS like it's working, but when I refresh my page, I see the code and not the graphic. Any ideas???? thanks in advance

Jen :)

Jen,

Do a search for free guestbooks and use one of them. I don't even recommend people using the guestbook feature in FrontPage. They are nothing but problems. What is your URL? I can check it out and give you some feedback. You can send it directly to me at jon@simple-sitz.com.

Jon Holmen

I have used Publisher 2000 to make a couple of web pages. After you complete the page, save it. Then Save as Web Page. When you use &quot;save as web page&quot; it will break everything down in html.

After you save everything in html, the contents of the entire folder will have to be FTP'd to your Domain. You can download free FTP programs at download.com. I used Smart FTP. It may take a few times to get it right but it will work ok. Here is a link to one of the pages I did.

Rob
Just my $.02.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back