Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getTimezoneOffset issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxmilkman

Programmer
Sep 26, 2007
JP
i wrote this to change my embedded swf depending on the location,
but it's not working.
it also disable other javascript on the page.

HTML:
myDate = new Date();
myTD = myDate.getTimezoneOffset();
if ((myTD >= 180) && (myTD < 480)){
document.mySWF.src="alaska.swf";
}else if((myTD >=1 80) && (myTD < 180)){
document.mySWF.src="england.swf";
}else if((myTD >= -540) && (myTD < -180)){
document.mySWF.src="japan.swf";
}else{
document.mySWF.src="hawai.swf";
}

thanx for your help.

Code:
myDate = new Date();
myTD = myDate.getTimezoneOffset();
if ((myTD >= 180) && (myTD < 480)){
document.mySWF.src="alaska.swf";
}else if((myTD >=[COLOR=red]180[/color]) && (myTD < 180)){
document.mySWF.src="england.swf";
}else if((myTD >= -540) && (myTD < -180)){
document.mySWF.src="japan.swf";
}else{
document.mySWF.src="hawai.swf";
}

thanks. now other scripts work,
but it doesn't change mySWF.

HTML:
<OBJECT classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="[URL unfurl="true"]http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0"[/URL] width="105" height="105  ">
    <PARAM name="quality" value="high">
    <EMBED src="'alaska.swf'" name="mySWF" enablejavascript="true" quality="high" pluginspage="[URL unfurl="true"]http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"[/URL] type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="105" height="105"></EMBED></OBJECT>

I don't know exactly how the embed tag works. You could try dom setAttribute method and assign an id to your tag and then get the tag using getElementById(id).setAttribute(urattrib,"blah"). I think though it would be easier to have a div and set its innerHTML property to a different obj/embed string for each time zone. I recall that is how the swobject javascript sort of worked. It used to be a decent way of embeding flash movies. You can even have a the div populated with a gif or something for none flash users and write over it if javascript and flash are enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back