Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

getpwnam() works, but not getspwnam()

Status
Not open for further replies.

msc0tt

IS-IT--Management
Jun 25, 2002
CA
I've got a script (runs as root) that needs the crypt'd passwd entry for a user. Using the getpwnam() function, all I get is the 'x' (from /etc/passwd). I really need the long hash from /etc/shadow. Is there a trick, or do I need a 'shadow password' Perl module?
My Perl version is: 5.8.0
-thanks

I did some googling and found that this will return the encrypted password for you...

#!/usr/bin/perl

($user, $pw, $uid, $gid, $home, $shell) = getpwnam(username);

print "username = $user, encrypted password = $pw\n";

Chris

Hey Chris,

Thanks for your reply, but your example was my first attempt prior to posting. It returns the value 'x' for $pw (which is the actual value stored in the /etc/passwd file). My goal is to retrieve the 'true' passwd value, which is stored in /etc/shadow on my Linux system.
I too Googled around, and discovered that this is quite a moving target with many behaviours.

I chose to roll-my-own solution, posted below:

sub getspwnam {
my ($login) = @_;
my (@entry, @elements);
my ($line);

@entry = getspwnam($login);
return (@entry) if (@entry == 0);
open(SPW, "/etc/shadow") || return (@entry);
while ($line = <SPW>) {
@elements = split(/:/, $line);
next if ($elements[0] ne &quot;$login&quot;);
$entry[1] = $elements[1];
last;
}
close(SPW);
return (@entry);
}

Note: this is a quick-and-dirty sub() to get the job done. I does little errorchecking, and might even have a bug or two. Coding improvments are welcome, but please keep it constructive. -thanks, Mike.

Thats odd because it works on my RH90 system.

[chrisp@pulse chrisp]$ su -c &quot;perl pw.pl&quot;
Password:
username = chrisp, encrypted password = $1$cuIg/0nV$rZeEI1sx/meUj88CiQGnn0

What Unix/Linux distro are you running? I googled and found a few Debian users who are having the same problem as you.

Chris

...posted under the wrong user account above. Should have been from nix45.

Different member accounts??? Hmmm.... Curious.... ;-{)

As I indicated, the differing behaviours are due to philosophical differences, specifically security.

In my situation, I was using an older Slackware box (not sure which version). I just tried the exact code on my newest Slackware 9 box, and lo-and-behold, the getpwnam() does return the true crypt password. Go figure.

-later

fyi, the reason for the different user accounts is because I use one for work (nix45), and the other at home (fluid11). I had a reason for this in the past, but I would love to consolidate them now if thats at all possible (keep the nix45 name, and fluid11's MVP votes and FAQs).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back