Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get your Certs while ya can or ya better know it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spudnuts

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
I just passed the BSCI (Which btw had to be one of hardest test I've taken) exam and working on the remote access. I just recently received the latest version of Cert Magazine and there is an article on "Hand-On Certification" (Lab-Based Expertise). Seems that the tech gods above are tired of the pencil pushed cert takers and decided to take ya into a lab to get your cert. Looks like A+, N+, S+, CCNA, CCNP, MCSA, and MCSE along with Oracle and many others are going this way. Says that they are pushing for mid to late 04 to start. Anyone else hear about this?

When I took my CCNA, the exam already has the siumlation.I did got about 3 to 4 Qs. They are modifying all the cisco exams to go with the simulation (CCNP etc.)

Simulations are nothing new...cisco has had them in CCNA/NP exams for at least a year now. The one problem most people have (myself included) is generally POOR wording on exam questions (2 answers which have the potential of BOTH being correct, but you can only pick one).

Devising a perfect test which tests persons on what they have actually learned takes painstaking work, IMO.

I don't think ya'll understand, this is not a simulator or simulator questions. These are lab based exams, simular to the CCIE type of lab-based exam. The article states that "the certification typically means hands-on test, where exam candidates are required to install, configure, manage and troubleshoot "LIVE" equipment to test their ability to perform on the job". This is not an exam with a simulator but in an actual lab environment with live equipment. You will not just have to demonstrate your abilities but put them into practice in front of an exam administrator.

about damn time...

You either know it or you dont. And if you dont, you have no business at all in the testing center.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

That's funny. I was just at the Cisco Networkers Conference in L.A. and heard no mention of a "hand's on" lab for CCNP. I took the BSCI also, and there was live simulation, but that's it. The Boson reps said they knew nothing of a lab based portion for the CCNP track, even with the new tests that will be coming out sometime late this year.

I agree with Dogbert2. Most of the questions I have seen almost always have 2 answers that could work. And usually, what I would think of as the "best" answer may not even be listed....
I, for one, would rather take a lab-based test. Instead of dealing with Tailspin toys wants to set up a ski resort with smart-cards on the ski lifts.
Maybe they could become a little more "Real World".... Though that applies more to M$ than Cisco.

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Well, I didn't write the article but agree that it's about time something like this happens. When I retired from the Navy and began working for IBM, it troubled me that I had to go behind co-called "Certified" individuals (who were getting paid alot more than I) and clean up their mess. I had no certs at the time but have over 25 years of IT experience. Just because you studied online and took a lame written test doesn't mean at all that you have a clue what your doing. This should weed out those who deserve a cert and those who don't, those who deserve the recognition for knowledge and the ability to put it into practice and those who can't.

SpudNuts(ITC), USN(Ret), CCNA, CST

I am NOT aware of any lab based exams for the CCNA or CCNP cerrtifications, however, there are skills based practicals if you want to pass the Cisco Network Academy at the CCNA and/or CCNP level.

I have taken at least 5 skills based exams at the network academy, and they aren't easy at all. The skills based exams do not allow the use of books, computer generated notes, etc. They do allow you all the HAND written notes you can bring with you.

I usually wind up writing up every lab which I had done during the network academy class I was attending, so that if I forgot how to do something, i'd just open my binder and go to the section that shows me how to get it working.

I went through the academy for CCNA and had NO skills based practicals but have had a "End of Semester" practical for CCNP. The new exams are (from what i've read about them) simular to the skills based practical exams. A test administrator, live equipment and timed. I think it's a great idea.

SpudNuts(ITC), USN(Ret), CCNA, CST

Iam sitting the ccna tommorow and to be honest iam not sure iam going to pass it. In fact iam certian i wont. My problem is iam a network installation engineer with not a great deal of time available. I graduated top of the class from the cisco academy last year but realised that it doesnt actually prepare you for the ccna because unless your in a switching/routing enviroment full time you are likely to forget all the useless crap that you have studied. In fact this is what has happened to me. I have been in the industry for 19 years now so you cant really call me a newbie. For what its worth iam pissed that its not complete hands on now because that would go in my favour. Also i think they should alter the labs too, if you are in a real life enviroment you quite often dont know the answers but as a professional you know the quickest way to find them. How often do we say, shit never seen that before and pick up our mobiles. Test's and labs should reflect this, give you real life problems to fix with the ability to find answers if you dont know them off the top of your head!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back