Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get the SQL Return Value from Stored Procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

mapman04

IS-IT--Management
Mar 28, 2002
US
I am trying to build a utility to run a stored procedure from a simple VBScript. I believe the SQL procedure is running but I can't figure out how to display the return value that the procedure returns. When in SQL, the procedure returns a 0 if it executes properly. I can't figure out what I need to do to display that return value in a MsgBox. The script will be a utility that I can give a non-SQL admin to run in the off-hours . Here's my code:

conStr="driver=sql server;server=MyServer;database=MyDB;uid=sa;pwd=********" 'This is my connection string
Set cmdObj=createobject("adodb.command")
With cmdObj
.activeconnection=conStr
.commandtype=4
.commandtext="ResyncDBSP" 'This is my SP name
.execute 'The SP will be executed after this statement
End with

WScript.Quit

Can this be done?

Thanks in advance!

In the stored procedure, why not spool to a log file? Then read from the log file?

Not allowed to modify the SP. Was looking for an easy way to relaunch the SP without giving the night shift production manager SQL manager. I was hoping just to make a quick script.

No Luck using this:

myVar = cmdObj.Execute
Msgbox = myVar

I tried MsgBox myVar as well. I thought this would be easy...

Did you try to add a RETURN-VALUE parameter to your Command object ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I still haven't been able to get this to work. I have changed approaches and have a script that is scheduled to run on the actual SQL Server which uses the SQLDMO.SQLServer object. If it fails initially, the script relaunches it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back