Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get source code from an exe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Basic is old programming language, for reverse engineering it, you will need to get old tools. Maybe it could be disassembed into assembler code but decompiling to the exactly original source is probably not possible.
I looked in the EXE file, some texts are readable, the program name and the author can be idetified. Maybe try to contact the author for the source file or here I found THE BASIC DECOMPILER AND DECOMPILATION SERVICE although it's not sure if it's still available:

I contacted netsolhot.com, (mspring810@aol.com). He said, decompiler not running on his machine and stopped the service.

In the EXE, there is this info:
HOPPER BIN DESIGN by Rod Grossman, P.E. 03May02.
It seems to be the program author, maybe you can contact him somehow and ask for the program source.

Yes, It was designed by Rod Grossman, unfortunately, he passed away last year. Hence, we lost all the way to get the code back. There is no code backup in his computer except the design exe file.

Hi Murugank,
This is really a sad story

In the EXE file there are lots of strings with parameter descriptions:
Wind Speed (90 mph = default)
Seismic Zone (1 = default)
Ground Snow Load (50 psf = default)
Soil Bearing Strength, psf (3000 = default)
etc

The author must have made the calculations on the basis of some literature, or maybe he left some notes on it. Maybe you can take these sources and let the program rewrite (in other language).

Hi Mikrom,
Yes, rewriting the program from scratch is the final solution I too think so. Thanks for your support.

Better not have the program rewritten in a compiled, but in an interpreted programming language. So when you run the program, you always have to have the source and not just the EXE, e.g. I would suggest Python, it is a programming language that is used very often nowadays.
In my opinion, the reprogramming would be something for a student internship or, together with the theory and calculations behind it, a good topic for a bachelor thesis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back