Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

get rid of the background 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubu

Programmer
Mar 3, 2002
RO
Hello guys!
I have a picture with a flower on a white background.
I want to use this flower in a flash movie...but i want only the flower..with no background....
I tried to export it as gif and give transparency to white..but it still remains some white around the flower...

I can send you the picture if is easier for ya!

Regards,
Dragos. Regards,
Dragos.

dragos.jpg

The tool you're looking for is the magic wand tool, which can be found as an extension off the mask tool on the tool bar. You can select this tool by pressing the W key.

Once selected on the magic wand tool, the next step is to set this tools power level. Make sure your Tool Propery Bar is turned on. On the property bar (while selected on the magic wand tool) you'll see a value select box to the right of a button that says 'HSB'. This button is your color similarity selector. Start out by turning it to somewhere between 3 and 8 (depending on how much color was ramaining when you first exported your GIF with transparency - more ramaining = higher setting).

Now, with the magic wand, click over the white area around the flower and it should, assuming your mask settings are on default, give you a masked selection around the white area you select inside of.

You can do a number of things from this point. 1) you can use the erase tool to remove unwanted color or 2) you can use the fill tool to set a color over the masked area that you would like to use for your transparent setting (I like to use magenta because it's easy to see and hardly ever comes up in any of my photos but the color really doesnt matter too much). From here, save as you normally would with transparency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back