Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

get nt4 to join a win2k domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

edwinhj

Technical User
Mar 21, 2002
GB
hi
im trying to get an NT4 server to join an exisiting win2k domain as BDC, any ideas anyone?.......without having to rebuild NT4
thank you!

Sorry, can't be done without upgrading NT to W2K. With NT, there were PDC's and BDC's. With W2k that's history. You only have DC's. If you want to join the domain, you'll have to upgrade to w2k, then run dcpromo to join the domain. Good Luck. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"It is never too late to learn what is always necessary to know."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC - 65AD) Roman philosopher, statesman.

ok, but is it possible to join the two
i know that if i redo the nt4 server i can get it to join the domain
but i cant seem to do it otherwise
ed

If the win2K server is in native mode, than you can't use a NT4 BDC or PDC it simply won't work. But if you have a win NT4 domain, and you upgrade one of the servers to win2K then they can work together as long as the domain isn't switched to native mode.

regards

asteriks

Recieved this article this morning. Worth looking at.

Planning AD domain migration
James Michael Stewart

The key to a successful migration from Windows NT 4.0 domains to Windows 2000 Active Directory domains is planning. There are several important stages or elements of migration planning that should not be avoided.

First, you must determine whether or not the existing domain structure is sufficient for your organization. If not, you'll not only need to upgrade, you will also need to restructure. In most cases, restructuring is best accomplished after the upgrade migration is complete.

Second, you need to plan the order of the upgrade. In a multi-domain environment, you should always upgrade the account domains before any resource domains. Within each domain, upgrade the PDC first, followed by the BDCs.

Third, decide when to switch to native mode from mixed mode. Native mode offers full access to Windows 2000's Active Directory capabilities. However, you cannot upgrade a domain to native mode until all domain controllers are Windows 2000.

Fourth, you need to decide when to upgrade member servers and clients. The upgrading of non-domain controller systems is inconsequential to the domain structure. So, upgrading clients and member servers can be placed at the end of the upgrade process.

Fortunately, the migration from Windows NT domains to Windows 2000 AD domains does not need to occur all at once. In fact, performing the migration in stages circumvents more problems than performing the migration all at once. Once the PDC in a domain is upgraded from Windows NT to Windows 2000, it continues to support the Windows NT BDCs. Once you are sure your new Windows 2000 AD domain controller is stable, you can elect to upgrade the BDCs one at a time. Once all BDCs are upgraded, you can then elect to switch to native mode.

Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"It is never too late to learn what is always necessary to know."
Lucius Annaeus Seneca (4 BC - 65AD) Roman philosopher, statesman.

Edwin, as long as your 2k domain is in Mixed Mode, you can have an NT4 BDC. What problems are you experiencing?

The only way i can get a'n NT4 Server to join an existing 2k domain is to rebuild the server and instead of selecting the option for BDC during installation is to select Standalone Server, then a couple of steps further along i get the option of joining it to another domain. And it works, but i dont think its the wright way. And i dont really want to rebuild our server, unless i really have to.

I have just built NT4 Server and I have joined the win2000 domain as BDC. Problem I have come across was when I tried to join the domain I got the error saying "The Machine Account for this Computer either does not exist or is inaccessible". To fix this I run srvmgr (Server Manager) on W2000 Server(PDC) and I have pre-created the computer account for the BDC and moved on without any problems. GoodLuck.

Had the very same thing happen to me, and I tried adding the NT4 server BDC's name to the computer accounts on the w2k AD then tried joining the 2000 domain again. The error message I got changed to "the computer name is already in use on the domain contact your administrator".......would using the old server manager utility the previous poster suggested have worked for me(unfortunately I have re-installed server as standalone now)??? This route surely is the same as I tried.....

To add a NT4 BDC to a Windows2000 Domain, you must use the NETDOM utility... it seems to be the only way to do it.

It actually even works on a native mode domain, which I can't explain !

Hope it helps

Fano

Take a look at this KB report
I had to due this in a mixed mode enviroment to get the NT$ bdc to join the domain. I even had to do this after i dleted the computer account in AD users and Computers and recreated it manually. Thanks
Erik Butler
2000 MCSE
erikbutler@centurytel.net

Yep this is what cured it for me, everything else I tried failed. This little ADSI util from the w2000 support tools on OS CD worked for me and my NT BDC happily sits on my w2K AD domain.

I know this a pretty old thread and sorry if it's against the rules. And please don't flame me for asking what you may think is a very stupid question.

I understand everything that has been suggested, however there is no mention of the AD client sw being installed on the NT4 Server installs. Would assume correct if I need to install this before I get the stage of adding the NT4 Server BDC to the AD?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back