Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get MonthNumber from abbreviated month name

Status
Not open for further replies.

avenuw

Programmer
Jun 21, 2007
US
Hello,

i am trying to get the month number to order the months in my sql query from an column (abbMon) with abbreviated month names in the format MMM.

this is what i have

select month(abbMon,T) from myTable
order by month(abbMon,T)

But I get an error indicating wrong number of arguments used in my query. I looked up the month function and the syntax is the following

Month(date,(abbrev))
where abbrev is a boolean character to indicate if date is abbreviated.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks,

Don't know where you saw that but my documentation for Month says
[blue]
Month Function

Returns a Variant (Integer) specifying a whole number between 1 and 12, inclusive, representing the month of the year.

Syntax

Month(date)

The required date argument is any Variant, numeric expression, string expression, or any combination, that can represent a date. If date contains Null, Null is returned.
[/blue]
there is no second argument.

You just want
Code:
select month(abbMon) from myTable
order by month(abbMon)

assuming that "abbMon" contains a Datetime field.

Hi Golom,

I tried the following code and gave me an #Error for the entire column

select month(abbMon) from myTable
order by month(abbMon)

abbMon contains abbreviated month names ( that I got using format(mydate,"MMM")previous query called myTable.

Any ideas ?

from an column (abbMon) with abbreviated month names

Code:
Public Function MonthNumber(strMonth As String) As Integer
  MonthNumber = Month(CDate("01 " & strMonth & " 2008"))
End Function
[code]

[code]
select MonthNumber(abbMon) from myTable
order by MonthNumber(abbMon)
[/code}

abbreviated month names ( that I got using format(mydate,"MMM")previous query called myTable

I did not see that part. So if you have a real date stored somewhere use that in your query as Golom suggests. The month function is used on a date variable.

You can use my fix but all you are then doing is taking a date converting it to a string (using format), and then taking the string and converting it back to a date.

Easiest way I can think of would be to have a monthID field in myTable that is 1 through 12 (January thru December). Then your sql would be:

SELECT Left$(MonthName([monthID]),3) AS abbMonth
FROM myTable
ORDER BY myTable.monthID;

Thanks for all your suggestions.

What i did eventually was instead of tryng to get monthNumber from query2, I went to the previous query1 ( which query2 gets its info from) and used the month() method on the original date. Much easier than using the month method on the abbreviated month name.

Thanks Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back