Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get message; "CMOS Battery Low"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markie37

Technical User
Mar 23, 2002
US
I have an old computer I want to get running for my grandchildren. I havn't used it in a while and it won't boot up. While booting a message comes up that says, "CMOS Battery Low". Took the cover off and can't find the battery.
This computer is a fossil like me but it always ran quite well. It has Windows 95 and an American Mega Trends Motherboard. I think the MB number or model is "TUC 960522D" Or maybe AMIBIOS? At least that's what comes up on the screen. I know what a battery looks like because my other computer has one and it is about the size of a nickle. Where do I find the battery on this board??????

Thanks!

The CMOS battery is usually in the back somewhere close to the keyboard plug. It may be silver about the size of a quarter(US) or something cylindrical like a SMALL roll of lifesavers.

WOW! Thank you franklin for the fast reply. I just checked where you said and, nope, no battery. Could this battery be integrated someplace with the motherboard? My neighbor just left my house and he said years ago he had one that like that [integreted] and the repair guy told him to replace the mobo. Is that possible? [He's a fossil like me] Would it be possible it's on the underside of the board out of sight?
THANKS!

Yes indeedy,
Many older motherboards had a Nicad battery soldered onto the motherboard, it's just a case of finding it.
If it turns out to be a rechargable battery then it is possible to cut out the old battery and solder wires onto the connectors instead and use a small remote battery holder , you can get these at radio shack/tandy's etc (same voltage and similar amp rating so the batteries will keep charged)
If a non rechargable type is fitted then you can do the same but don't have to worry how big the battery is just the voltage.
Reset the bios and it should now keep it's settings.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

if its the first time you are booting it might still be ok just set the bios and see if it holds a charge.

Probable integrated on the M/B, rechargable type, majority I've seen were blue wrap with the name Varta. 1/2 by 3/4 cylindrical near the keyboard connector. If it is still good it will charge up in 24 to 48 hours, if not, it gets its power through a 4 position header on the board with 2 of the pins shorted. The header is for an external battery. You pull the shorting plug from the header and put the molex connector from the replacement battery on it.
The replacement external battery won't look anything like the one on the board.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Some motherboards used the "Dallas" type batteries as well.
They were a black rectangle shape about 1" long and about a 1/2 " wide located near the rom bios. If so, then there should be a header with a jumper as EdFair has mentioned and I believe it was usually located near the keboard controller. Don't confuse it for a PS/2 header as your motherboard may have one which would be located near the keyboard controller as well.

If it is Dallas, requires replacement chip. It is integrated CMOS and battery.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I do believe, if i recall correctly, a lot of the ami bios used that combo bios chip and battery. That being the case, it may not even be worth your while, althoug you could use google to possibly find a new replacement for it at a reasonable cost.
good luck.
but also you want to leave it plugged in for a day or two and see if it will take a charge as is. Also, you have to go into the bios and leave it and save it as if you have made changes, that way the "CMOS Battery Low" alert may leave you if the battery is charged enough.
Again, good luck on that.

ps, it it is the battery i may even have one.
You can email me at garebo@hotmail.com

Thanks Franklin, Paparezi, EdFair, Maingeek and Garebo for the replys! You guys are great. In looking over this mobo, I found a VIA Technologies chip on the board and, man, I don't think I want to attempt changimng that thing. I'll probably be back here 20 times asking someone to figure this out for me. I have in the back of my head to just go and find a used mobo on the net somewhere that I can just screw in, set the bios and go with that.
THANKS MANY TIMES to you guys and I love this site a whole bunch as I have used it a couple of times before and always got the correct answers. A couple of days ago I made a donation to this website just to make me feel better and to help it continue. I couldn't give what I would have liked to but if everyone that gets something out of this site give a little it could continue to help people.
P.S. I did leave the machine plugged in for a few days and nothing changed.

Via technologies chip is not a battery. It is an interface chip.
You haven't found the battery yet.

Ed Fair

The battery may look like a small oblong chip with legs that look like they are soldered into the board, but it can actually be pried out with a small screwdriver, very carefully and you have to go from one end to the other, a bit at a time. But thats ONLY if you are taking it out.

But first you have to find it. It HAS to be there, there are different forms of battery. It could be a round green, black, or other color thing about the size of the end of your smaller finger up to the first joint anyway. It sits lengthwise and it is connected by solder at both ends, when it is unsoldered it comes out and leaves two round metal tabs.
Then there is the coin battery.
One way or another people will stick with you til you find it, but you have to keep looking. Best place to look is all around the edges, from the edges and in about two inches, look real well and you will find it, you have prolly already passed it, my guess.

sometimes I have even seed regular batteries like you use in small flashights and the like, but i didnt mention that as i figured if that were the case you would have already found it!!
You mentioned the via chip. Well the batteryy would also not be so low to the mobo, has to stick up a bit further for one thing. Unless of course its a small coin battery.
What make and model mobo is it? Are there any numbers and letters on it?

When the battery in my old 486-66 Win95 box started to give out, I found that I could still get the computer to boot up by making a few simple choices in the BIOS such as to auto-detect drives, etc. When this stopped being fun, I actually changed the battery. In my case, it was a 2/3 AA size lithium battery and the color was either pink or violet (manufacturer Tadiran). I ended up buying a full size AA battery from Radio shack, who happened to be stocking Tadirans. I simply made sure that I bought a replacement with the same voltage, 3.6V in my case. Mine is mounted in an AA battery holder and mounted close by the mobo on double stick foam tape. There was some soldering and desoldering involved, of course. If you are not up to that, probably getting a new mobo is a better way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back