Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get filename before it is displayed on screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

browneye

Programmer
Nov 21, 2000
US
How to get filename with full path when file is being loaded in memory?

Hi,

I think, to answer your question fully we might need a bit more information.

How are you opening the file?

I assume you loading the file seperate to your program, is that correct?

Perhaps if you could explain the context in which you are needing to use this functionality it may also help.

Cheers

HarleyQuinn
---------------------------------
Get the most out of Tek-Tips, read FAQ222-2244 before posting.

HarleyQuinn,
I am so sorry I could have been more specific...Well My program is running in memory.My application is checking for excel files user is trying to open. After opening excel file, I make few changes through my application and save it in same folder with adding few characters to original file name.

My application wont know if the file being opened is right one or not because filenames are dynamically generated. My application checks internally wheteher it is right file after user trying to open.

Please let me know if you have any doubts. Thank you for your time..Appriciate it!!

I'm afraid that I still don't quite understand what you are trying to do, and how you are (currently) trying to do it.

I know its kinda complicated..I am sorry

My app is running in memory. Right now I am using windows hook. Mostly I am dealing with excel files and may be access mdb files in future.

All I want to know that is.. when user double click in windows explorer say "c:\temp\myfile.xls" to open it. The moment file is double clicked my app should know path and file name so that my app can check for that name in database and come up if that is right file or not. If my app have that information and file being opened is right file, my app process few things in it and save in same folder by adding few characters to its original file name.

please let me know if you have more questions.

Again thank you for your time. I appriciate your help.

So, you want to be notified every time the user double clicks a file in Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back