Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get Contacts in mailboxes using LDAP? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnaregan

Programmer
Mar 13, 2001
Hi
Can you get to the Contacts folder in end users mailboxes (stored in Exchange Server, not local PC's) using LDAP. If so can anyone give me any pointers as to how to do this.

thanks in advance
John

What version of Exchange? What OS Platform?

zcolton
We are using Windows 2000 server and Exchange 2000.

John

The contacts are not stored in active directory. You can't get to them through LDAP. What are you trying to do?

zcolton, thanks for your reply
I take it that LDAP only applies to Active Directory? ie. you cannot use it on Exchange Server to get at emails, Contacts etc.

What I have is about 20 end users who keep their contact (other company's addresses, emails, telephone numbers) in their own personal contact folder under their mailboxes in Exchange Server 2000. The mailboxes are stored on the server (not in .pst files on local PC's)
I have been asked to extract these contacts nightly and make them available in a SQL Server database.

John

John,
That would be correct. LDAP only applies to active directory. What client do your users use?
There are two M$ knowledgebase articles that show how to export items out of Outlook and into an Access database.
For Outlook 2000:
For Outlook 2002:

I hope this helps
Zac

Zac
thanks for link, this seems be the way to go

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back