Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get AutoNumber After Insert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austral

Programmer
Oct 31, 2002
US
Hi,

I'm doing an INSERT into a Access Jet table in a VB 6.0 program and I need the AutoNumber value from the record just inserted so I can later do an update. This will be a MultiUser environment so I don't want to just read the last record I just inserted in case someone else inserted one after the one I just inserted and I then get the wrong one.

Is there a way to get the AutoNumber for the record I just inserted into a table without reading the last record? Here is my code.

Dim sQuery As string

sQuery = "INSERT INTO tblLogon " _
& "(strLogonId, LogonTime)" _
& VALUES('" & txtLogonId & "'," _
& "'" & Now() & "')"
cn.Execute sQuery

I also have the following 2 fields in the table and I want to update the LogOffTime field later but I don't want to wait and just do the Insert at the end so I will have to do an update.

lngAutoId - the autonumber
LogOffTime - another field

I also need to capture the lngAutoId value after the insert so I can later use it's value as a foreign key for an insert into another table.

Does anyone know how to get the AutoNumber after an insert?

Thanks,

Austral

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks for your advice.

Austral

Hi VBOldTimer,

I got it working. Thanks. One more question if you don't mind!

If I'm in a multi-user environment will it still always get the correct AutoNumber from the record I just inserted or is there a possibility that, if someone else inserted another record before I issue my SELECT @@Identity would I then get the AutoNumber for that record instead of mine.

Thanks,

Austral

I believe that @@Identity will be correct if you don't do any intervening db processes on that particular connection

'People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.'

This is an oft-discussed topic, including a lengthy and worthy exchange last week. See thread thread222-524989 and do a search for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back