Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get an error trying to run diskpart on Windows 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

luusid

MIS
Dec 4, 2002
US
I am trying to launch diskpart on a Windows 2000 server and I get the following error.

The disk management services could not complete the operation.

Has anyone run into this problem and how did you get it to work?

Thanks!

David

luusid,

I had this problem with a server that had been built and a 3rd party dick management software had been installed i.e, Dell Open Manage array manager, uninstalled it ran diskpart with no errors, then reinstalled Array manager. All worked perfectly.

the 3rd party product takes control of the disks and disables Windows OS access to them.Diskpart s an MS tool and would only have been tested with MS disk management services.
Regards
Greg

Greg,

Thanks for your response... We are using Dell OpenManage Array manager. I spoke with Dell support yesterday and they confirmend what you posted here.

In talking with them they also warned me that it is highly recommended that partions are not expanded but rebuilt to the larger size and then data restored. They say it is much more stable in the long run. Since this is one of our domain controllers and holds important information that needs to be available all the time, I will opt to rebuild the partition and restore from backup.

David

Hello again David,

I have used diskpart to extend partitions on live production servers over webex sessions, didn't have to even be onsite.The tool does exactly what it says on the KB article
I understand your concerns about the live server but I think that you are giving yourself extra work where it isn't needed, backup and restore will take more work than is reqd for your circumstances.

Regards

Greg29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back