Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Get address to recognise as external

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drummermoose

Technical User
Jan 22, 2002
GB
We have a domain to send internal e-mails. Sending e-mails internally works fine. An e-mail has been setup on the same domain but with its own address with the ISP. This address is external to building.

When e-mails are sent to this address from inside the company, an e-mail comes back from the exchange server saying it doesnt recognise the address internally.

How can I get the server to recognise this address has an external address by the exchange server and send it to the ISP SMTP?

I hope this makes sence.

Thanx,

Ben

Question:

How did you create this email account?

Mail Enabled User or Mail Enabled Contact?

Give more details

Our e-mails are hosted by easyspace.com. The main e-mail address is a catch-all. The e-mail address that is setup is a standalone seperate address in the same domain setup through easyspace which works as a seperate acount.

i.e - if an e-mail is sent to this address from a hotmail account it will go directly to it, rather than to the catch-all account.

The server just automatically thinks it's an internal address that doesnt exist. I need to tell the server that e-mails to this address needs to be sent to the external SMTP.

No user account has been setup for this e-mail address on the server.

I hope this helps!

Thanx for your help.

Ben

if i understood well:

Your main email is i.e. catchall@easyspace.com and you have a separate email account that can receive emails i.e from hotmail and looks like this something@something.something

If the above is correct then you should make the separate email account either a mail enabled user or i would suggest a mail enabled contact.

i.e. Create a contact and use as an smtp address the something@something.something, this way the Exchange Server would receive the email that refers to this account and directed to the smtp external account, there is also a forwarding capability.

I hope that helped you

sorry - not quite right. I'll try the simple terms you used.

correct - the main address is a catchall -catchall@mydomain.com

the other address is the same domain, an address that is excluded from the catchall - ben@mydomain.com

This address does not come through the catchall account.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for your help so far!

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back