Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geographically dispersed Clustering

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingpete

IS-IT--Management
Aug 4, 2002
NZ
Hi,
Has anyone here tried or has got Geographically dispersed clusters working (ie one node in one site, and the other in a remote site).

We are looking at the possibility of employing this technology, if it works reliably. Currently we have a project under way to upgrade our enterprise storage, which will include disk subsystems that can replicate data between our two data centres via Dark Fibre.

The key here is not having both nodes pointing to the same physical disk, as that would not help us if we lost a site.

The disk subsystems we are investigating are two EMC Symmertrix 8830, or a HDS9980 to go with our current HDS9960.

Thanks!

Hi there,

Have you found out the way to make Geographically dispersed clusters working yet? I am also starting a project to support two data centers. I would appreciate very much if you can share some of the information in terms of software and hardware with me.

Thanks,

We completed an installation about a year ago which spans two geographically dispersed sites, not a huge distance apart, but the book says it can be done. (Up to 60km)
Two Unisys ES7000’s, two EMC Sym’s, and four Brocade fibre switches. The logical volumes are mirrored between the two sites using SRDF, and EMC’s Geospan for MSCS looks after resource allocation. EMC’s PowerPath is also used, as each node has dual paths between the ES7000 and the Sym.

Hi,
We have setup about 20 of these W2K clusters. They are physically separated by approximately 1/4 mile. We are using the EMC SYM technology coupled with the EMC Geospan product. It is a complex environment but if tightly managed is very stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back