Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Geographic Redundancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

goosefraba

Technical User
Jul 29, 2008
US

I am at rls 5.0 csk1000e
I am trying to replicate my main call server to my geographic call server, however I am unable to get the geoghraphic call server to show the same database as the main call server and am unable to get the i2004 sets to register with the main call server. They show as invalid id!
Does anyone have any ideas of what I need to complete this task?

set a main office loc code w/ 9 +loc (on NRS)and you will not have to fill in main office DN or TN!! write over rule 3

Mato' Was'aka

In the geographic call sever, I do not have any database.
I seem to have a problem with the Nortel replicating.

Did you build your backup rules and GRDRC block on the main system?

not loc - hloc

don't select geo options on main, but on SMG

Mato' Was'aka

Yes, we have this exact scenario working minus the i2004 phones - we have 1140e ... what are you putting in for node and what do you have configured?
Have you recently upgraded any of your network equipement? We have Foundry here and an IOS upgrade messed with our MC32S cards. Or have you made any firewall changes? Ping and traceroute to try to help you figure out what is going on - or the best is use a packet sniffer trace. You could have something not setup properly OR something messing with your ELAN.

I'm having a similar issue with the database replicating. Specifically I'm getting an error (SCH1623)when trying to set the GRDRC in element manager that they are "mutually exclusive". This is on the SCS and PCS, I have an SCS backup rule on both already.

Any ideas?

funny because I've gone through both of those..hehe. The big thing I'm missing right now is I have no database on my SCS.

To pull back a little, this was installed by a vendor..the 5.5 upgrade and the SCS. They just didn't finish and test everything, huge huge vendor so I won't mention them because of a couple of techs.

Thats not a big deal to me, the vendor part, I'm working for a vendor as well and it is a full time job sometimes learning all this stuff not to mention different product lines.
Ok well I'm new to this GeoRdun so I don't know everything about it but what I'm wondering is if you have done the restore command on the secondary call server and answered yes to the filtering question and then done a manual reboot on the SCS to boot that zipped data base from the PCS in to service?

I had done this before, but after you just said that I thought I would try a sysload again. Well for some reason this time it worked and now my database is there.

Now a different problem which is the same as this thread...

Invalid ID(1) on the phone display.

Adding a new Secondary Call Server to the system
You can configure up to 50 additional Secondary Call Servers for a
Survivable Media Gateway configuration. To add a Secondary Call Server
to the system,

On the new Secondary Call Server:
• Install the hardware (if required).
• Install CS 1000 Release 6.0 (same version as Primary or
later).
• Configure the Call Server with system specific data, such as
IP address, Signaling Server settings, and so forth.

2 On the Primary Call Server, configure the following for each new Secondary Call Server:

Backup Rule (see “Configure a Backup Rule (BKR)”
Backup Schedule see “Configure a Backup Schedule
(BKPS)”
State Control Block see “Configure State Control (GRSC)
Blocks ”

Recovering (This is how you get the Data base to boot into action from the SCS) a modified Secondary Call Server database
For each Secondary Call Server, use the BKR command in
LD 43 (specifying the associated backup rule) to replicate
the database(That doesn't exist on the new SCS).
3 On the new Secondary Call Server:
• After replicating the backup set from the Primary Call Server(its on your SCS hard drive ready to be RSR'd to the IP of the SCS),
define Backup Rule 1. For more information, see “Configure
a Backup Rule (BKR)”
• In LD 43, use the RSR command to manually restore the
database from the Primary Call Server backup set(This is a confusing way of saying it is on the SCS hard drive waiting for you to boot it to the IP of a CS you need it on, in your case the IP of your SCS). (Filtering
of Primary system specific data must be used.)

• Sysload the Call Server.(The Video says manually but I'm wondering if it can be done automaticly some how. Can anyone advise me on this step. My SCS is 10 miles away in a cave. Lots of security stuff and a pain to get to.

Thx!

This is almost word for word out of the book...

The invalid ID is becaue your HLOC isn't built or being recognized by the NRS in the proper domain. It needs to be in the UDP domain of the ss and needs to have a route class of 2 on the secondary ss and the same code built in the primary NRS endpoint for the primary ss. Both endpoints need to have NCS checked and have the CDP codes built for the extensions you use with the route class of the primary being 1 and the secondary being 2 for those entries. Configure the HLOC in ld 90 with a dmi that doesn't add or del anything. I'm not sure but I think you also have to have the HLOC defined with the same code in ld 15 net data. I put it in mine, not sure if needed though.

Mine works but the NTP says the auto redirection is done through the ac1 or ac2 + HLOC+PDN = NUID....this code will pop up on the display of the phone after redirection to the primary ss but there is a patch nortel has so the NUID won't appear on your sets, it hasn't hit the latest deplist yet but will soon. It was custom written for me so I don't know if it will work on other systems or not.

I work for a large vendor. I don't access to the 2 that I installed at this time. But I set mine up to sync databases every time a edd was performed and automatically do a sysload on the remote site. worked like a charm. If I remember it was easier to setup with element manager than command line.

I don't know if anybody has already said this, but a sysload is necessary on the remote site to make the new database active. Kind of like a res command.

Also look for settings regarding your backups. My backups on our recently installed geo redun site do the following.
EDD is run on Main side, the backup is run on the main side, then it replicates itself to the "sleeping: side
Geo is a little weird to get used to. I keep forgetting that any changes made for the "sleeping" side have to made on the active side, whether its logging into active and making the same changes, or performing changes on active, then doing the backup. Look for commands like bkro or something like that in the NTPs. Its a new setup for me as well so still plenty of learning.

slider that video is great...the girl speaking sounds like a girl named Lin that i used to work with at NextiraOne.

Oh so you met her before...its a good video but way to quiet don't you think, she speaks very softly? I was wondering if there is a way to make the SCS reboot without having to go to the site to boot the replicated data into service. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the video but lets say you have the primary set to replicate to the SCS after each data dump and then you have some hardware issue that causes all your MGC's to register to the SCS. At that point how does the SCS get the newly recieved data booted in to service without manually doing a RSR restore to it and then manually rebooting it to actcept the DB??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back