Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gentran UNIX/NT/GIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

edimpact

MIS
Feb 17, 2004
US
HI EVERYONE!

I have some dbouts regarding gentran. Why r they so many versions of gentran. which one is the best of unix/Nt/GIS. which one has more advantages. I heard that people are movin towards GIS now-a-days. Why is that so?

How Mercator/ECMAP/Harbinger stands when compared to these?

Anyone's help is appreciated!

Thank you

Hi

I have worked with the Windows PC version of GENTRAN as well as the Unix server version. In the early years the Windows version was a bit shakey but later on it was fine.
Very user friendly & nice interface. The Unix version is more robust but that is probably because of the operating system. It also had a very easy mapping tool. I think the latest GENTRAN unix version (6.0) is still being sold and supported. That would be a good choice.
Sterling Commerce (the GENTRAN vendor) has now also released a product which combines all their products and much more into one product. It's called Integrator. Kind of an EAI engine. That's the next step. Not quite sure what GIS is. A GEIS product? I haven't worked with the other software products you've mentioned but I have heard good things about Mercator and bad things about Harbinger support.

Crimson74: "GIS" is Gentran Integrations Suite... another name for SterlingIntegrator.

Among Gentran products, the NT product is nowadays more robust than the UNIX product, but GIS is much more robust, complex, flexible, than either of the earlier two.

Thank You Crimson74 and swebiz for your help.. I need to do more research now on this.

The Harbinger product line was renamed to Inovis when they were acquired after a spin-off from Peregrine. Speaking for the Inovis Trusted Link iSeries product for the AS400, the product is excellent and the support is top notch.
I've never had a problem with the support group. Fast, accurate answers and a ready escalation to Level 2 for the one time I needed it to fix my error.

I currently use Gentran for UNIX and also have GIS installed but only the AS2 edition of it. I like both and you cant beat the customer support. They have never let me down..

ATVI - do you use your AS2 software for SMTP ?? I've just got the package for HTTP and now my TP's say they can only use AS1, I'm getting a little in too deep now :-(

How much is the GIS solution for Unix? What features can I expect from it?
Thanks!

hi

Thanx everyone for your valuable replys.

We r a pharma company and we are planning to upgrade our Gentran NT 3.0.1 to either NT 4.0 or GIS. we are unable to decide exactly where to go. So valuable inputs in this subject required. We r a medium size company with a 80-100 partners with various transactions.

Thanx in advance for everybody

Vinodh

Hi,

I am trying to create a MAP using a ODBC [SQL Server 2000] database as source on Gentran V3.0.1. The MAP compiles fine.

I am trying to map information from certain tables to X12 004010 - 810 format, I also created a System Header map and registered it. Now when i import a file with reference to this outbound transaction it give me compliance error in Audit log. Please validate if i am doing the right thing or is there something different i need to do to run the ODBC specific map.

Hi,

I am trying to create a MAP using a ODBC [SQL Server 2000] database as source on Gentran V3.0.1. The MAP compiles fine.

I am trying to map information from certain tables to X12 004010 - 810 format, I also created a System Header map and registered it. Now when i import a file with reference to this outbound transaction it give me compliance error in Audit log. Please validate if i am doing the right thing or is there something different i need to do to run the ODBC specific map.

Please asist me ASAP.

Thanks
Mohit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back