Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gentran NT 3.2 SP1 dropping interchanges!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

volant

Programmer
Feb 4, 2003
US
Has anyone run into the problem of gentran not processing received interchanges. The file appear in the intin dir but do not appear in the interchange browser or get processed out to our appl. pkg.

It just so happens that we ran into a problem like this about two weeks ago. The problem resulted because the interchange that we received was not complete - some of the data was corrupted. Make sure that all the data is complete.

Gentran isn't my EDI Xlator of choice - but I've supported a couple of clients who run it. One time inbound EDI wasn't being audited because the segment terminators were either the same as the ele separators, or the same as other characters in the EDI itself.

Turns out Sterling was the VAN and the mbox profile had Sterling modifying the segment terminators. So even though the EDI file was syntactically correct when leaving my clients trading partners systems - it was being corrupted by Sterlings segment terminator "massaging".

Probably not the root cause of your problem, but worth a post none the less.

Good luck...-Ken

Well at least I am not the only one experiencing this problem. I have observed this problem for over 3 years in version 2.1 and latterly in V3.2 SP1. Sterling have never given an explanation for it as they have been unable to reproduce the problem on their systems. We had to create a count program to count the messages received and the messages exported from Gentran to monitor the process so that we could be confident we were not losing messages. V3.2 appears to be much more robust but it still happens occasionally. I agree that it happens when there is a problem during processing, such as data corruption but when it happens it can also skip complete interchanges for(apparently) no reason. I have also experienced problems with our production system which I have been unable to duplicate on our test system. This seems to suggest a difference in installation/ configuration either with Gentran or the OS.

Having similar problem. Using Gentran 5.3 on WIN2000. My Logs say "successful" trnsmission (outbound). I don't have any problem receiving. But MY TP says thy are not receiving anything. My TP setup is OKEY. My outbound mailbox(STERCOMM.com) has been empty for a month.
Any tips you guys can give would be apprciated.

I noticed that Stercomm website has a patch for port 25 (released in November 2002), if you're interested go to Sterling website download page.

Hello zedsded,

Can you please specify the URL for me to download the patch for port 25.

Well at least I am not the only one experiencing this problem.

Thanks for the reply. Sterling tells me it's my delivery rules. Receiving invalid HEX char. 1A. Funny thing is, it's Gentran thats adding the hex at the end of every inbound file. Is this the same with you. Files in the Store directory.

Volany,

Please be aware that Gentran does NOT add the HEX 1A to the inbound file. In fact unless you have delivery rules to "massage" the file Gentran there are no modifications to the file. If you would like to confrim this, then you can turn tracing on for your communications mailbox, which will log all characters sent/received in the communications log. You will see that the 0x1A is sent from the Van before it is written to the .atm file.

Where do you turn on tracing for a Gentran mailbox? I have looked over the config screens and don't see it. Getitng some unprinable chars from trading partner, causing ODBC errors, thought this might help -

thanks

Tracing cna be turned on by going to right clicking on the mailbox>Properties, go to the Gateway tab and click configure. Click on scripts and there is a check box that turns tracing on. The trace data is written in the communication session log.

Thanks- I turned on the trace. I will look at tomorrow's file and see if it sheds any light on the sibject - hae had the case open for over a week and so I am getting a little annoyed with the problem!

- t

hello all,
sorry for my ignorance, what is the benefit I can get from tracing?
thank you Sirs.

Well truthfully not much but I thought it might point to weird characters being inserted in the file - no dice. But if you would like to see a "traced" comm session vs untraced, I can send you a sample. They would point to possible communications session issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back