Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Genius trigger thoughts needed, Mufasa ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

saustin

MIS
Feb 19, 2001
US
Hi,
Want to save data to a table (TBLSDSHIPMENTS) after a new record is saved in table (SHIPPER_LINE). Because of other triggers and restrictions on this table am not able to save all the data i need to a table with an after insert trigger.

Can save of some (but not all) of the critical fields needed. Is there a work-around or timer that can be used to go in, check and populate the TBLSDSHIPMENTS table ?

Have used a vb app with a timer to monitor a table and perform the updates but was hoping for a nicer solution.

Thanks, Steve.

I may not be Mufasa, but I do have an idea. How about a second table? Example:
Code:
SQL> create table BJC1
  2  (
  3    ID   NUMBER,
  4    FLD1 VARCHAR2(5),
  5    FLD2 VARCHAR2(5)
  6  );

Table created.

SQL> 
SQL> create table BJC2
  2  (
  3    ID         NUMBER,
  4    EXTRA_DATA VARCHAR2(5)
  5  );

Table created.

SQL> 
SQL> create or replace trigger test_trigger
  2    after insert on BJC2 for each row
  3  declare
  4    --
  5  begin
  6    update BJC1 set FLD2 = :new.EXTRA_DATa where id = :new.id;
  7  end test_trigger;
  8  /

Trigger created.

SQL> 
SQL> insert into bjc1 (id,FLD1) values (100,'data');

1 row created.

SQL> 
SQL> insert into bjc2 (id,EXTRA_DATA) values (100,'more');

1 row created.

SQL> 
SQL> commit;

Commit complete.

SQL> 
SQL> select * from bjc1;

ID FLD1  FLD2
---------- ----- -----
       100 data  more

SQL>

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Consultant Developer/Analyst Oracle, Forms, Reports & PL/SQL (Windows)
My website: Emu Products Plus

That is exactly what i want to do ! Let me provide further details....

TBLSDSHIPMENTS is the second table we want to populate with data from several tables with the when a new record is inserted in SHIPPER_LINE. This is the original trigger.

DECLARE
mSHIPPED_DATE SYSADM.SHIPPER.SHIPPED_DATE%type;
mPACKLIST_ID SYSADM.SHIPPER.PACKLIST_ID%type;
mLINE_NO SYSADM.SHIPPER_LINE.LINE_NO%type;
mCUST_ORDER_ID SYSADM.SHIPPER_LINE.CUST_ORDER_ID%type;
mCUST_ORDER_LINE_NO SYSADM.SHIPPER_LINE.CUST_ORDER_LINE_NO%type;
mORDER_QTY SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.ORDER_QTY%type;
mUSER_SHIPPED_QTY SYSADM.SHIPPER_LINE.USER_SHIPPED_QTY%type;
mQTY_BO varchar2(10);
mDESCRIPTION SYSADM.PART.DESCRIPTION%type;
mCUSTOMER_ID SYSADM.CUSTOMER_ORDER.CUSTOMER_ID%type;
mCUSTOMER_PO_REF SYSADM.CUSTOMER_ORDER.CUSTOMER_PO_REF%type;
mSHIPPED_TIME varchar2(30);
mseqNo NUMBER;
mPART_ID SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.PART_ID%type;
mTOTALSHIPPEDQTY SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.TOTAL_SHIPPED_QTY%type;
PRAGMA AUTONOMOUS_TRANSACTION;

BEGIN

SELECT
SYSADM.SHIPPER.SHIPPED_DATE,
SYSADM.SHIPPER.PACKLIST_ID,
:OLDDATA.LINE_NO,
:OLDDATA.CUST_ORDER_ID,
:OLDDATA.CUST_ORDER_LINE_NO,
SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.ORDER_QTY,
:OLDDATA.USER_SHIPPED_QTY,
SYSADM.PART.DESCRIPTION,
SYSADM.CUSTOMER_ORDER.CUSTOMER_ID,
SYSADM.CUSTOMER_ORDER.CUSTOMER_PO_REF,
SYSADM.SHIPPER.SHIPPED_TIME,
SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.PART_ID,
SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.TOTAL_SHIPPED_QTY

INTO mSHIPPED_DATE, mPACKLIST_ID, mLINE_NO, mCUST_ORDER_ID, mCUST_ORDER_LINE_NO, mORDER_QTY, mUSER_SHIPPED_QTY, mDESCRIPTION, mCUSTOMER_ID, mCUSTOMER_PO_REF, mSHIPPED_TIME, mPART_ID, mTOTALSHIPPEDQTY
FROM SYSADM.SHIPPER, SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE, SYSADM.CUSTOMER_ORDER, SYSADM.CUSTOMER, SYSADM.PART
WHERE SYSADM.SHIPPER.PACKLIST_ID= :OLDDATA.PACKLIST_ID
AND :OLDDATA.CUST_ORDER_ID = SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.CUST_ORDER_ID
AND :OLDDATA.CUST_ORDER_LINE_NO = SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.LINE_NO
AND SYSADM.CUSTOMER_ORDER.CUSTOMER_ID = SYSADM.CUSTOMER.ID
AND SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.CUST_ORDER_ID = SYSADM.CUSTOMER_ORDER.ID
AND SYSADM.CUST_ORDER_LINE.PART_ID = SYSADM.PART.ID;
IF mCUSTOMER_ID='97' AND mUSER_SHIPPED_QTY >0 THEN
SELECT TBLSDSHIPMENTS_SEQUENCE.nextval INTO mseqNo FROM dual;
INSERT INTO TBLSDSHIPMENTS (SDID, SHIPPED_DATE, PACKLIST_ID, LINE_NO, CUST_ORDER_ID, CUST_ORDER_LINE_NO, ORDER_QTY, USER_SHIPPED_QTY, QTY_BO, DESCRIPTION, CUSTOMER_ID, CUSTOMER_PO_REF, SHIPPED_TIME, SDSHIPMENTSTATUS, PART_ID)
VALUES (mseqNo, mSHIPPED_DATE, mPACKLIST_ID, mLINE_NO, mCUST_ORDER_ID, mCUST_ORDER_LINE_NO, mORDER_QTY, mUSER_SHIPPED_QTY, mORDER_QTY - (mTOTALSHIPPEDQTY + mUSER_SHIPPED_QTY), mDESCRIPTION, mCUSTOMER_ID, mCUSTOMER_PO_REF, SUBSTR(mSHIPPED_TIME,12,8), 10, mPART_ID);
COMMIT;
END IF;
END;

Due to contraints and three other triggers on SHIPPER_LINE this after insert trigger above can in rare cases prevent a new record from being saved in SHIPPER_LINE. Can not modify the other triggers or constraints on this table (3rd party app) but was able to save off JUST the :OLDDATA fields into the second table without causing a problem. IF however i put an after insert trigger on the second table TBLSDSHIPMENTS to go back and get the rest of the fields i need the constraints kick in again and the SHIPPER_LINE record is not saved.
Can you spot anything here that can help ?

Thanks, Steve.

Ouch! Are you saying that, under these circumstances, you want to defeat those constraints & triggers by allowing data to be inserted that would otherwise be considered invalid?

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]

Not at all, am saying that my attempt to copy off values from the SHIPPER_LINE table (and associated tables) can in rare cases prevent a SHIPPER_LINE record from being saved.
Specifically the join on the SHIPPER table due to other triggers on the SHIPPER_LINE table.
Am looking to copy off values only and NOT effect the normal operation of the 3 rd party app.

If timing is the issue (since you mentioned at timer), and you can determine the time when it would be OK to make the updates, have you considered using DBMS_JOBS to execute a database procedure?

Precisely what I'm looking at now. Was trying to do anything to avoid this however.

Hi Mufasa and BJCooperIT,
Many thanks for your support and inspiration. Turns out that after much debugging that the trigger was failing due to a left outer join [2thumbsup]. Amazing how this can prevent a record from saving but the moral of the story is you learn something new every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back