Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GENERIC /TEXT PRINT DRIVER FOR WINDOWS 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPERRY

MIS
Aug 12, 1999
US
I am looking for a generic/text print driver for Windows 95 that will print past 60 characters and also let me set the paper to landscape.&nbsp;&nbsp;The one that comes with the system only prints 60 portrait.&nbsp;&nbsp;I am actually trying to print from windows 95 to an IBM 3800 mainframe printer.&nbsp;&nbsp;I have it working except I need to print more than 60 characters across the page.&nbsp;&nbsp;Does anyone know where I can find something like this????<br>Thanx,<br>Melissa<br><A HREF="mailto:mperry18@compuserve.com">mperry18@compuserve.com</A>

Melissa,<br>Since you work with Windows95, and if you have MS WORD on your computer, go to File Menu-Page Setup-Paper Size-Landscape-Legal (8.5x14&quot;) and your printer will print in Landscape and past 60 characters on one line. If you have WordPerfect9 go to: File-Page Setup-Landscape-Legal (8.5&quot;x14&quot;) and your printer will print up to 240 characters on one line depending on the size of your font.<br><br>Try this out and let me know if it works on your setup. If not, try the DOS external command &quot;Mode&quot; which can configure your printer. By the way, what kind of printer do you have? <br><br>Charles Keller, Kelowna, BC<br><A HREF="mailto:cgkeller@home.com">cgkeller@home.com</A>

I find that the old Proprinter XL24 drivers tend to work with most things. I would give it a try before doing anything complicated.

I like both these gentlemen's responses. The only thing I will add is don't be afraid to try any number of old printer drivers (like the proprinter -- which is a great idea since it's IBM, too) until you find one that might work.&nbsp;&nbsp;However, a word to the wise:&nbsp;&nbsp;Keep your test output to significantly less than a page -- control characters foreign to a specific printer can produce reams of output -- at one character per page!

Gentlemen:<br>Great responses - my major problem is that I am going to an OS/390 mainframe printer which does not understand anykind of PCL or whatever the PC printers understand.&nbsp;&nbsp;I was going to try to DOS MODE command, but I have the printer defined to an LPR type port (TCP/IP) I am not using a standard COM of LPT port.<br>Thanx,<br>Melissa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back