Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generic Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmy993x19

Technical User
Jul 9, 2004
US
I manage a small call center and have become, in the last 90 days, our default phone tech. We are shopping for a new system. Our IT manager wants to go with the Cisco solution for political reasons(the person that got him this job sells the Cisco solution) I am unimpressed by the Cisco rep. They have never asked me what I wanted, or come and even look at what we do. I'm leaning toward the Nortel solution because they have taken a very active interest in what we do. The reality is either system will do what I need. My questions to you are, how happy are you with the Cisco solution? How has support been? Would you do it again? Thanks

The Cisco solution is quite good but there are some features that we would like that are currently not available. Well they are available in Callmanager 4.0 but every Cisco person I talk to tells me to wait till 4.1 before we move our production environment. We went through a third party vendor to get our system set up and they have been quite helpfull in finding solutions for everything we need.We also looked at the Nortel solution as well as the Mytel. After a lot of consideration as to what would work best in our environment we went with cisco. But we did have quite a bit of input from all three solutions and they laid everything out for us.

Thanks for the response. I actually meet with the Cisco rep in one hour. What features have you found unavailable?

CCM works well but I´m missing native SIP support and I don´t like MS Windows as underlaying OS for security reasons. A good an cheap alternative solution is asterisk running on linux (

Does Sip offer you any features that you need in your Corp PBX? If you want cheaper phones I understand.. But that is not really a feature issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back