Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generation of Empty Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.

jconway

Programmer
Dec 14, 2005
I'm running into 2 issues currently, generating blank reports and sending them to clients and putting multiple reports in an email for clients. Any solutions that involve Crystal or another application would be welcome.

My first problem is that we often have reports where no data qualifies. The report then gets sent to a client and they are unsure of if it's blank because it's broken, or because nothing qualifies. Is there a tool out there that can help me identify empty reports to keep them from going to clients? Even if I could generate a different file name for a report with no data and then through my automation process hold up all files with a "no data" string in the file name. I am not opposed to solutions other the Crystal/Business Objects either.

THe other problem I'm running into is reports in multiple emails. I have 20 reports I generate for a client in a month and they are asking to receive one email. Is this possible? Once again, I'm open to looking into solutions beyond Crystal.

Thanks!!!

Are you using Business Objects Enterprise? If so, what version?

You could solve your empty data issue using publications, which are only available in the 3.x version of BOE.

You can bundle your reports together in an object package to solve problem #2. Packages have been around for several versions.

We're using Business Objects Enterprise 11. Is this an upgrade I will have to look into? Do you know of anywhere I can learn more about packages and publications?

Yes, the XI 3.x version is an upgrade to what you have. If your maintenance is current, it is a free upgrade.

Publications only apply to Desktop Intelligence report prior to XI version 3.x when it was made available for other types of reports.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

You could adjust your report so that it says 'no data'.

Create a section in the report footerthat says something like *** No Data***.

Right-click on the section and choose Format Section. Then choose the formula icon (x+2 and a pencil) for suppression.

Test not isnull({your.field})

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK). Using Crystal 10 & 11.5 with Windows XP [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back