Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generating Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfradley

Programmer
Jul 7, 2003
US
I'm working with Visual Studio .NET. I've used the IDE to create my database tables and stored procedures. I want to generate a script that has all SQL statements to create all the tables and stored procedures. In SQL Server 7, all I had to do was right-click 'generate scripts'. But when using the Visual Studio .NET IDE I don't have that option. Any ideas?

Open up Enterprise Manager and drill down to your database and it will work just as before.

DL
MCDBA, MCSD, MCT, etc.

I'm sorry, I failed to give this piece of info. I don't have all those SQL Server tools anymore. Those tools came with VB 6 for free. But they didn't work with SQL Server 2000. So, I'm just using the tools built into Visual Studio .NET. I don't have Enterprise Manager.

I have VS.NET and in the Server Explorer if I right-click on the DB or the individual object then I get a "Generate Create Script..." option.

Having said this, I also have all the SQL client tools installed so I don't know whether it is reliant on those to give it this functionality?

Why can't you just get the SQL client tools installed on your machine? If you need to do SQL admin stuff like this then it would probably be better to use the proper tools and have access to the full functionality.

--James

What are these SQL Client tools? Did they come with Visual Studio .NET or did you have to purchase them seperately?

I actually see the 'Generate Script' option when I right-click the DB but it's always greyed out.

The client tools come with SQL Server and include Enterprise Manager and Query Analyzer among others. They are what you use to administer and manage SQL Server.

BTW, have you expanded the DB before right-clicking on it? When I first expanded the SQL Server in the list the option was greyed out - I had to drill down into the DB before the option became available.

--James

I expanded it all the way and it was still greyed. I guess that functionality is not included with SQL Client.

Thanks for your help any ways.

You can load them from the sql server cd. They are called client tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back