Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generating and printing a random unique ID (newbie here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD5150

Programmer
Aug 25, 2004
US

Can someone point me in the right direction?

At our manufacturing plant we have a vendor installing a printer on one of our machines that basically only prints a time stamp onto our product. They tell us that their device can print a unique ID if we use PCL to generate it, but they apparently don't know anything about how to set this up. I do see features in their software that appears to support PCL, but I don't know enough about PCL to know where exactly to start.

We need to generate unique ID's for each print. They must be random numbers/characters, much like a software key.

Can PCL generate such an ID? Or would I have to use another progamming language to generate the ID and then pass it, or save it, to a .pcl file and then somehow point their software to the file, or send the file to their printer?

I'm noramlly a Visual Basic programmer, so I'm sure I can write a function to generate the custom ID if needed, but I'm really not sure what to do from there.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

Mike

I don't know, but it looks that our requirements for this project have changed and that we were able to find a printer which can automate all of this. So no worries, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back