Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generate sql using SSIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

manmaria

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
US
I have a task to generate some sql using some standard statments and some variable names as table name. For example

CREATE PROCEDURE DBA.tmpBSPOt ( )
BEGIN
IF ( SELECT STRING(Value) FROM @tablename
WHERE Name = 'ImplementBSPOT' ) = '1'
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-- Table: @tablename - Insert and Delete triggers for audit log capture.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something like that. How do I do that. I was thinking to put the whole statment until the parameter(@tablename) in to

SELECT 'THE STATMENT' then I want to take the input parameter, but I am not successful yet. How do you append the text to the same file?

TIA

this is possible but my first question is why are you using SSIS to create stored procedures? It would be much easier to do it in T-SQL.

Only reason I am using SSIS is to append the text to a file. What I am doing is inserting the standard script in to a text and using the table name as a parameter and getting the columns information from the system tables. This is a template sql for moving data from base to staging tables. So instead of every programmer to write their own coding, I am creating a template, so when they run this it generates a script with the table name.

Is that makes any sense? If you have some other ideas, please share.

TIA

I do something like this in the follwoing method.

1) Table
Code:
TableName   QueryName   BaseQuery
MyTable     MyQuery     Select Col1,Col2 From MyTable

2) I then have a package variable SQLStatement

3) SQL Task that executes query to Return needed SQL which is then used to populate to populate the variable.

4) Data Source I use a SQL Command from variable.

if you are moving whole table sets this is fine but if a package needs only specific columns from a table then this method can cause problems as you don't always need all columns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back