Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generate Reports based on multiple tables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgupta76

Programmer
Nov 26, 2003
US
I have one table for each salesrep in my commission database that tracks their individual transactions.
For example:
Salesperson A has Table 'tblSalesA'
Salesperson B has Table 'tblSalesB'

I want to generate a report called 'Transaction Details' for each Salesperson and save the report to a network folder.
I want to use only one report and change the Record Source of the report to the appropriate salesperson table and save it on the network folder.
How do I change the record source property of the report using VBA?
Thanks.

First, it isn't generally a good idea to have each sales person in a separate table. You would generally keep all the Sales in a single table with a field to identify which salesperson made the sale.

I would create a union query from all the tables so that it would be one virtual recordset. The SQL might look like:
SELECT *, "Bob Smith" as Salesperson
FROM tblSalesA
UNION ALL
SELECT *, "Betty Anderson"
FROM tblSalesB
UNION ALL
SELECT *, "Jerry Woods"
FROM tblSalesC
UNION ALL
...other tables...;
You can then open the report with a WHERE CLAUSE or use a query with a criteria that references a control on a form.

YOu can save the report as a snapshot or PDF on your network folder.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Hi Duane,
Thanks for the input. I think I will use your suggestion. I really didn't want to have separate table for each salesperson, but our sales comp plans are complex and it required me to have separate tables.
I just want to know out of curiousity, is it possible to change the RecordSource of a report at run time. If so how do you do that in VBA?
Thanks.

Sorry, I should have answered that question in my first response. You can set the Record Source property of a report in the On Open event of the report. For instance, if you have a combo box [cboSalesPerson] on a form [frmSelectSP] then you could use code like:
[Blue]
Code:
    Dim strSQL as String
    strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblSales" & Forms!frmSelectSP!cboSalesPerson
    Me.RecordSource = strSQL
[/blue]

Duane
MS Access MVP

Duane,
Just one more question. What if I don't want to use the On Open event of the report but am trying to run the report in another module. How do I reference a Report and change its record source. For example you can reference a form like [Forms]!frmFormName!...... I would like to know if it possible to reference reports like forms and change their record source property.

Thanks again.

If you don't want to use my earlier suggestions then my next option would be to change the SQL of a saved query. Base your report on a query "qselSales". Then change the SQL using DAO code like:
Dim strSQL as String
strSQL = "SELECT * FROM tblSales" & Forms!frmSelectSP!cboSalesPerson
Currentdb.QueryDefs("qselSales").SQL = strSQL

Duane
MS Access MVP

i dont know if it applys but know that the openreport function has a embeded WHERE Clause when you call it
small ex:
dim stlinkcriteria as string
stlinkcriteria "noProduit = " + me.mybox.text
openreport form1,stlinkcriteria,stNormal

(this code may have errors !!)

That's what my first suggestion offered. It was combining all the tables using a UNION query and then opening with a where clause. The actual syntax would be closer to:
DoCmd.OpenReport "srptYourReport", acPreview, , stLinkCriteria

Duane
MS Access MVP

Thanks Duane. I think I will use the Union query as you suggested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back