Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Generate a Report for users mapped drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Houserocker

Technical User
Oct 13, 2002
US
Does anyone know or have a SQL statement where I can generate a report to show me a user's mapped drives through SMS? I don't see one listed in he report sql staten\ment "views" part. Your help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people ~ Jack Handy

There is an issue in the SMS reporting of mapped drives through Hardware Inventory.

Basically, mapped drives are recorded in root\cimv2\win32_LogicalDisk (with all drives) and a dirivitive class ..\win32_MappedLogicalDisk (but this contains very sketchy data so it would be best either joing with where, the two tables or filtering the whole LogicalDisk table.

THE ISSUE
root\cimv2\Win32_LogicalDisk can be queried and will display the mapped drives...however....SMS does not query this class, instead transends this class into it's own reporting class, root\cimv2\sms\sms_LogicalDisk. The provider for the transition doesn't support the Network Drive Types, even though it is only an integer value, and is not out of range. At the minute, I do not know why this is.

The win32_LD class is in the HINV, but has no properties, and has repoting set to false. I have been carrying out some tests with SMS reporting this mapped drive, and found that even when I populate the WIN32 instance of the SMS reporting class, Mapped drives still do not get reported.

I am working on this, and will try and get you an answer by the end of the week. As far as I am concerned, there is no reason why this is not being reported, as it is just lifting values, that are all valid.

I will get back to you.....let me know if you find the answer...but your problem is not creating a SQL report...as mapped drives do not appear in your logical disk table what so ever. The SQL bit will be easy, but we have to get them there first.....

OR

have a look at your LOGICAL_DISK_DATA table in your database...can you see mapped drives in there, if so, then I have a strange problem that is individual to me, I think you will find you wont.

We will concentrate on getting the machine mapped drives, rather than user specific, then we can look at getting the users mapped drives.

Neil J Cotton
UCLan Ba-SYS Development and Project Manager
NJC Technical Productions
Software Development | Network Consultancy | Wireless Network Provissions
Member of the IETF CAPWAP Work Group

thanks Neil, I don't see the mapped drives in the LOGICAL_DISK_DATA table either. I haven't found an answer yet but I will let you know if I do find anything

thanks again

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people ~ Jack Handy

hey sencee, just wondering if you had any progress on this? I haven't

thanks

The way that I have gotten around this is by using a utility called Aida32. This utility is very similar to the old MSInfo, for those of you who remember that. It will tell you everything about your workstation that you would ever want to know including mapped drives. The really cool thing about Aida32 is that with switches you can use a 'silent' mode (no GUI) and , drum roll please, it will pipe the results directly into a Mif file, to whatever directory path you wish, to whatever name you desire.
I am currently incorporating Aida32 into an inventory program but I'm sure you could simply push this utility out to all of your workstations, run it in silent mode and have it create the Mif in your NoIdMifs directory. Once the Mif is created in the Noidmifs directory you can query against the info from SMS. The only thing that I had noticed about Aida32 is that sometimes the aida.bin process doesn't stop once the Mif file is created and drives your processor usage way up! So I had to kill that process manually in my script after everything had finished running.
Aida32 is freeware and comes is a few different flavors. (I am using the enterprise version.) But Aida32 was bought out by the Everest company and is no longer available or supported. I believe I downloaded it from MajorGeeks'site For a list of the available switches just run the exe with /?
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back