Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General SAN question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mokkan

IS-IT--Management
Nov 17, 2008
US
Hello All,

I'm new to SAN storage. If I buy Qlogic HBA Card, can I use with any SAN switch? Does it require specific SAN Switch? Genreally, any hba card will work with any SAN switch? Thanks in advance.

You'll not go far wrong with QLogic cards - they should work on all SAN switches.

Jon

Thanks a lot. If I understand correctly, would all the HBA cards will work SAN switch? Or Qlogic is the special case?
Also, when I get firmware, would our HBA card will scan the storage automatically or do we need to scan? Sorry for asking basic question.

All HBA should work on the same Fibre Channel standard. I certainly have QLogic and Emulex on the same SAN switches. You will most likely need to rescan on the host side that to pick up the new devices.

On the firmware/driver - make sure that the level you download is supported by your storage vendor. This level may not always be the newest download available from QLogic / Emulex.

Jon

I'm planning to buy used PowerVault or EMC clarion or HP storage. Do you think it would be ok?

Thanks a lot for helping me out.

I would recommend just buying the HBA your storage vendor specifies. The switch should work with all current HBAs, but there could be some secret scroll storage driver that likes a specific HBA.

Just check out the compatibility matrix for whatever SAN server you choose and host systems you have or may want to attach to that SAN server.

The compatibility matrix should be available somewhere on the SAN vendor's website.

HTH,

p5wizard

Thanks a lot for all of your answers.

I bought a hba card which is 64 bit, but I can put it into 32 bit slots and my linux box also found it when I try with lspci command, but when I use lputil it is finding it. Do I need to do anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back