Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Qns about Access 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tekila

Programmer
Apr 18, 2002
SG
1. What happens when the Access database gets very big over the years?

2. Is it possible to create a form that allows user to create backups of the database and restore backups, other than the conventional way?

These questions just happened to cross my mind...

ok, i can answer only a couple of these, but i'll do my best... some of these things are pretty hard to explain.. at least for me:)

1:
make sure that all the references you have on your pc are also on all of the users computers too... that is my first thought... second, make sure all of the users are using the same vertion and release of access... if not, you're going to make trouble for yourself with maintaining it...

2:
my first thought here is that all the pc's should be upgraded... but i know that's not alwas possable (due to pc limitations and of course money:)) my next thought is again, check on the references in vba, and check vertions... i would suggest using a pdf writer in stead of using snap shots... a pdf writer act's like a printer as far as access is concerned, and you can tell a report to only print on a certain printer.

3:
hmm... interesting... how are you sharing the database?? is it on a shared drive on the network and you're using a shortcut on the users pc's to open it?? check the shortcut to see if it's tring to open it in a certain place... i've seen that happen going from development into testing...

(btw, i would hope you are testing it with only a few certain people befor it goes into production where all your users will be using it...)

4:
the workgroup file needs to be accessable to all the users but in a central place... i would keep that in the same place that you're sharing the database from, then reference it in the users pc, or in the shortcut to open the database...

5:
ok, now your getting into a big answer that i can't fully answer, but i'll do my best for you...

it depends on how the database is designed.

here is a couple of thoughts though...

one, the backend (if it's split, and if you're sharing it i would definatly have it split...)

when user A adds some data, it will not be accessable to the other users untill one of a couple things happen. one is the data get's refreshed, re-queried, or the user exit's and then goes back in... that is the simplest i can get...

6:
i don't understand this question, please rephrase it or ask another way...

--Junior JHauge@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

4:
i would keep that in the same place that you're sharing the database from, then reference it in the users pc, or in the shortcut to open the database...

Do you mean assigning the path of the workgroup files to where I store the database (shared drive on the network)?

6:
The record source of my data entry form refers to a table and in order for the user to view, add and update the form, I've assigned these permissions to him for the table and form respectively; (read design, read data, update data, insert data) and (open/run). I've allowed the user to update the data cos' there may be cases when he enters a wrong entry for a record and wants to correct it by moving to the previous record and update the data. Following so far?

Since it is a data entry form, it will open as a new form everytime and the user is unable to access the previous records. However, he is able to update his own records on the form anytime before he closes it. Given the permission for the table, he is also able to update any record in the table. My problem is I only want the user to update his records from the form but not from the table. If I deny him access to update the table, I'm also disallowing him from updating his records on the form.

How can I allow him to update data on the form but not from the table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back