Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Q about ASP.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ma3x323

Programmer
Jun 27, 2001
US
Hi experts,
I wanted to learn ASP but then .net came out. A friend of mine told me that learning ASP.net is faster and don't really need to know much about ASP. So, is ASP.net like that or what?
I am very knowledgeable with C++ and I read that ASP.net supports C++ and then I read another source saying it doesn't. So which one is it?
Anyways, I need your input guys and gals.

Thanks -Feryl
--> Just a silly software engineer wannabee.
If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

Whats the dilly o? K, here's the 411 on the C++ issue:
No, you can't write C++ code in an asp.net application, but you can write code that an asp.net application can use.

How cryptic was that, eh? :)

Seriously though, here's the recap about .NET and how it works in a nutshell: .NET has three core languages: VisualBasic, C#, and C++. You can create ASP applications in VB or C# currently. However, the real power of .NET is that all languages compile down to an Intermediary Language. What that means is that if I have an ASP.NET app written with VB, and you write a DLL in C++, I can use your DLL!(hey, for MS marks, thats pretty exciting)

Although you can't use C++ directly in an ASP.NET page, you can use C#. C# is basically java/C/C++ but Micrsofted (I think I just invented a word). So no, you won't have any difficulty making the transition.

I think I may have answered your question, but if not let me know.

Jack

K, I don't really know how asp.net works yet. But what you're trying to tell me is that if I write something in C++ (ie. programs, functions, etc), I can refer that in the asp.net page to access that function?? Like if you have for example a checkout shopping cart kinda deal where it calculates stuff (i know it's too easy calculating prices :p), I can refer a C++ code to calculate what I need?

Anyways, C# I've heard of. But I didn't really bother looking into it. You got NE tutorials or references I can look at to learn C#?

And thanks a lot for your help man. You did make some sense.

:) -Feryl
If you feel a post has been helpful to you, click on the link at the bottom of their post to cast a vote for "TipMaster Of The Week". You don't need to be the one who asked the question to vote.

np buddy. :)

Yes, you're right: You can write an asp.net application totally in VB, yet have it access functions held within a C++ DLL. Tis' the beauty of .NET

As far as C# goes, there are a few good .NET sites out there:

I do most of my programming in VB.NET, so I don't have a great grasp of C#. Friends tell me that if you know C or C++ or Java, you'll have no problem picking it up though. There are alot of good books out there right now, but hte only thing that sucks with them is that they all use command line apps for their examples (alot of the books were written before VisualStudio.NET was released I guess).

If I come accross any other hot references I'll let you know. :)

L8r,

Jack

Hi Jack, Feryl,

Today I purchase a book, Professional Windows Forms, Wrox, ISBN 1861005547. It is one of the first books I've seen that touches more on Visual Studio. It covers both VB.NET and C# using Visual Studio to build Windows Forms. I know it's not ASP.NET but for someone wanting to learn C# and get away from the command line approach it may be worth taking a look at.

Kyle

FINALLY Wrox comes out with a VS.NET based book! Thanks for the heads up Kyle, gonna go hunt for that this weekend.
:)

jack

Hey thanks Kyle! I'll go looking for it this weekend too!! -Feryl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back