Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Purpose Proxy Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluecrack

MIS
Apr 9, 2001
US
I would like to get some opinions on a "good" general purpose proxy server, W2K or Linux based. Here are my basic requirements:

1. Proxy HTTP, HTTPS, FTP
2. Proxy of HTTP allows only HTTP traffic and not some other type of traffic redirected to use this port, like SSH or SMB.
3. #2 is my main concern with any port I open up for outbound use on my firewall. I only want the specific traffic designed for that port using it. I don't want uses to be able to redirect traffic for other programs to use on that port.
4. Ideally, I'd like something that can proxy AIM (AOL Instant Messenger), but break down it's specific functions. I'd like to allow chat, but not file-transfer.
5. I have to be able to single out certain web-sites so they will not be cached.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Bluecrack

hi

try Microsoft ISA server 2000. It will fulfill your needs.don't forget the patches and service pack.

I'd go for squid.
It saves you 1500 ms/us$, and you actually learn something while installing and configuring it.
(which is not too hard, lots of good faq's and howtos around.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back