Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Info 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

basement131

Technical User
Feb 23, 2004
CA
i would like to know the most economical way to set up a network that would allow an office of 4 people to to work at the office as well as work out of their home. When at home i would like them to be able to access their files at work.
here is the catch. is it possible for each person to access there individual files which are stored on their individual computers. we are networked with a router. my understanding is that you can VPN or remote desktop, but it will only work with the computer that you set up in the router. it will not work for each one.

Another thing is that we have programs installed on individual computers that we do not have at home and so we like the option of VPN as it allows us to access these programs. how can we get around this.

Your help & assistance today will be passed on to others tomorrow.

Without going into a domain structure (excessive for 4 PC's) you could install a remote control piece of software on the PC's at work (which will have its own encryption and Password to access it), create a vpn, then get your user to log into the VPN connect to their PC's with the RA software and job done.......

All you need to do is install the client on the home PC (double click next next next type thing)

Are two but there are 1000's of apps out there.

Any Help?

Iain

If you use VNC as Iain suggests, you can set up port forwarding in the router and use a different port for each host.

For instance, if you have four computers, you can configure VNC to listen on a different port on each one:

computer1 listens on 5901
computer2 listens on 5902
computer3 listens on 5903
computer4 listens on 5904

Home computers are configured in such a way that they connect to your public address using the port that corresponds to their work computer:

Home1 connects to 192.168.0.1:5901
etc. - of course where 192.168.0.1 is your public IP.

No need for a VPN this way, but your traffic will not be encrypted using this method.

If you use Remote Desktop, you can set up port forwarding in the router and use a different port for each host. I would also suggest to turn on encryption. Here is the link for directions: If that is not secure enough I would suggest OpenVPN on a linux box.

Thanks for the above. i have decided to try the Radmin beta 3 (as it supports dual screen view which i use.

thanks also for the info on how to set up multiple computers remotely. while doing some research i came accross something like that and now that i have been working a little more with ip addresses i understand it a lot better.

However, i do have a concern regarding encryption.
do i & why would i have to set up a special encryption if Radmin has 128 bit encryption. plus i must enter a username and password to connect with radmin.

Your help & assistance today will be passed on to others tomorrow.

I think the 128 encyption relates to the traffic going between the server and client (but can't remember off the top of my head.

And you really don't want to be sending usernames and passwords in plain text over the internet.

Iain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back