Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Info on Paradox 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinger1

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2002
US
I have some experience with SQL Server, but need as much info as possible on Paradox.

My company hired a guy to create a database and he did it in paradox. They may want to post some of this stuff online in the next 12 months or so.

How difficult is Paradox to learn? Where can I get training - adequate training? Is online training sufficient?

I need as much info as possible so that I can make some informed decisions about utilizing this program.

Thanks in advance

Access does some things well, but is quite inscrutable, and you have to write much longer code than in Paradox. Paradox makes a very robust front-end, and has the added ability to work with both SQL tables and local (PC type)tables. I would also say that once you try to move to the "next level" with Access, you get the same lack of intelligent training that you find with Pdox. Prestwood's material (and others, especially Fung's book or Killer Pdox)is very focused on getting real world apps done.

|You can judge a software program by the amount of
|purchases and users it has. Capitalism, my friends.

I think that's a better indicator of how well a company marketing plan works.

| Corel doesn't even have a training progam for its
| product. I know because i looked and looked. The old
| timers seem to be the only apologists for the product. A
| newby to that software can't get trained.

After Microsoft "borrowed" some of the best ideas presented in Paradox and incorporated them into Access they then started bundling the product with MS Office, the de facto standard in office productivity software. The price difference was small and Microsoft's marketing team made sure the blurbs for Access made it sound just as good as Paradox even though it still isn't as good or as robust.

| I don't blame Corel for bad programmers, I blame them for
| a bad program and a lack of training opportunity. I took
| both the basic and advanced online courses for Paradox
| (there weren't any live ones in Chicago, Indianapolis,
| St. Louis, or Cincinnati. Only New York and New Orleans)

Actually you learn more here asking practical questions than you would in a course that lasted two weeks at eight hours a day... no matter what that course was called or addressed.

| Also, most people have never heard of Corel. Bad
| marketing, bad sales, no training = bad product.

Borland did know how to market it. In my opinion Borland lost a great deal of it's momentum when Philip Kaan left.

| You guys may be right about it being thorough and all
| that but you've been programming it in for years. Ask a
| newbie to do even basic things in it and its incredibly
| difficult to even find out how, let alone actually doing
| it.

And ask an Access programmer, no matter the level of experience, to program for 50 plus users and you'll get a blank stare. Access just does not have the horsepower required to support more than a dozen or so users.

| I say this with experience in HTML, Coldfusion, Access,
| and SQL Server.

And I say this with 25 plus years of experience in creating, maintaining, and developing systems that do what the client wants and WORK!!!

As A non programmer can I just say that what my company wants is a solution?
They really do not care what application we use, just so long as the project works, is supported, is scaleable,and has longevity.

Frankly, we IT providers are like electricians or plumbers. Applications are simply the tools we use and it is up to us to use the right tool for the right job.
I cannot ever hope to achieve the skills you programmers have but I spend all my best efforts in providing a solution to a problem.If Access is best for a given solution, so be it; if not try Paradox, or Access, or Excel, or whatever tool is best. I may never match the depth of knowledge that some of you carry but I like to think that I know what tool is best for a given situation.

I do not personally believe we should ever lose sight of the fact that we are in the business of providing solutions and it is up to us to know what tool to use to provide that solution.
Do you really care what type of screwdriver a plumber uses to fix your leak?

> Do you really care what type of screwdriver a plumber uses to fix your leak?

Yep, because if it's something oddball, then I may not be able to fix it at a later date using a different plumber and would therefore have to replace it completely.

Mac :)

"There are only 10 kinds of people in this world... those who understand binary and those who don't"

langley_mckelvy@cd4.co.harris.tx.us

Depends on the definition of oddball.

If I were to follow in Stinger1's footsteps I would be tearing my hair out - I would not recognise Coldfusion if you hit me with it. Is that my fault or his?

It's mine!

Having said that, I do accept that there are limits!

Since this is a Paradox Thread, of course there are many paradox programmers. I search for them both on the web and through contacts.

Noone uses it, cause it sucks!!

Get it through your skulls - I'm sure there are people still handcoding Basic, but that doesn't mean its smart.

My final Comment,

Stinger

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, of course.

We see things differently. If the program doesn't serve your needs, then by all means, don't use it.

If there's a technical problem you're grappling with, we'll be more than happy to try to help.

-- Lance

Is this horse dead yet, if not will someone please shoot it.

There are some who like Paradox and some who don't, and there is at least one who is really pissed off with it because a lot of time and money was spent on a lousy programmer.

Perrin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back