Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Everyday Printing settings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylv4n

Technical User
Feb 27, 2002
GB
Hi all,

We have a print server with several printers on it.

I want to setup one of these printers (HP LaserJect 5100) for a specific job. this will require it to only print in A3 with duplex and a few other options set.

the problem I'm having is that the printer seems to want to use "General Everyday Printing" from the printing shortcuts tab, I can create another shortcut with all the right settings and that works fin but I cant change the "General Everyday Printing" settings.
Although this isnt a serious problem since they can click the other printing shotcut I have created, but its a little bit harder than just pressing print (some of our less computer litterate users seem to always do just that)

so my question is "how do I edit the General Everyday Printing shortcut settings?"

Any ideas? is it even possible?

Sylv4n

Have you tried changing the printer default settings on the printer itself?

hi,
what do you mean with Printer Server:

- (PS1) A computer sharing many printers attached in LAN
or
- (PS2) A Network device with printers attached in USB,Parallel,..

In the first case, you have to set printer properties on the shared printer, on the server (PS1).

In 2nd, each client prints directely to the printer, passing from the PS2, and setting have to be done just at client desktops.

In both case, you can define, on Desktop (and on Server if PS1), more than one printer for the same device: repeat wizard, and rename
"HP LaserJect 5100 (2)" to "HP LaserJect 5100 (A3)",
and on this, make al presettings yoiu need: go in deep in printers properties, and set A3 everywhere you see PaperFormat, you will find it in more than one panels.

ciao
vit

by printer server I mean a network computer sharing many printers attached in LAN (PS1)

I have tried to change the settings on the server, however I cannot change the default ones (called General Everyday Printing), I can however create a new "printing shortcut" and set all the options on that.
but if I try and change the settings on the General Everyday printing they just go back to A4 size.
(Note the printer has no A4 trays in it)

Any other ideas?

Sylv4n

hi,
looking in HKLM\system\ccs\control\printers\hp laserjet 5100..
exists a parameter ConfigFile
if you do a double click on it you can read:
c:\d&s\all user\appl data\hp\hp print setting\hp3brvc.cfg

If you edit this file by wordpad, (it is an xml file)
you can read that manual edit of it is not reccomended,
but using a Customization utility... coming with CD ...
bla bla bla, you can do something.

References at "General Everyday Printing" are also in
HKLM\system\ccs\ctrl\printers\hp laserjet 5100..\
HPPresetRoot\PresetPoolDa\
in value PresetPool:0 and at the end of the key
you can find value of P.a.p.e.r.Si.z.e. A4 or Letter.

References are also in HKCU, but, temptations to change
these values in registry may be long and with insecure
results, and probably they will be changed using CD utility

I hope this can be a way to begin other researches.

ciao
vittorio

Thanks Victor V,

some good points that you raise, however this is a server that has all our printers on site on it (many different HP models). so I am unable to try and change values without risking screwing up other printers.

I'm going to give up on this idea, its only about 3 more clicks to select the right printing shortcut, its just that its hard to trust users to make them three clicks consistently.

thanks
Sylv4n

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back