Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

general database problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapp

Vendor
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have a problem with a database which I cant understand for the life of me, no tsure if anyone has experienced this, any suggestions woul dbe welcome.

My database is not large its not complicated and there is nothing unusual

It consists of a table and one query with names and addresses

A form ehich has nothing other than 10 hyperlinks, these are hyperlinks to word docs. c:\customerLetter1.doc etc

The word docs are linked to the query

theidea is that I click on a hyperling which produces a popup box prompting for an ID, I input the ID and the Word doc opens with he acorrect address merged. BUT when I click on the hyperlink I get the pop up box as soon as I input and ID and click OK the database closes and the word doc does not open.

here is the strange thing, if I craate a new database the has no tables or queries I import the form containing hyperlinks from theoriginal database, now if I use the second database and click on a hyperling I get the pop up box ,I input an ID - this then opens the original database containing the addresses and the word doc is open and the correct address is merged.

I need to have the hyperlink form and data in the same database

can anyone shine any light here please, it's beating me into the ground

thanks

Can you post the code you have on the Click event for the button?

Thanks for the reply,

Yes I tried that but same result

The strange thing is If I remove the [enter Id] from the criteria in the query then the word doc opens and the first record is merged, I can then search from Word and get the address I want.
That is a workaround but I would like the database to behave properly.

It's obviously something to do with the query
If I leave the criteria blank its ok
If I put 555 in the criteria it will merge the address associated with the ID 555
but If I put [enter Id] in the criteria then the Database closes and Word does not open and nothing is merged.

As I explained earlier if I put my merge hyperlink form in a separate database this works.

Thans again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back