Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

General Crystal XI questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montana751

Programmer
Aug 14, 2001
US
I just got Crystal XI (upgraded from 8.5) I went to training, but it was on Crystal Enterprise XI Release 2 and can't seem to find the following:

1. Does XI have the ability to Duplicate formulas, or is that an Release 2 only thing? If so, where?

2. When inserting a Subtotal, how do I insert a Grand Total at the same time? or is this a Release 2 option only?

3. How do you format the Special Field "Print Time Zone", do I have to write a formula? Where is it pulling the information from; regional settings or Date properties? Mine is returning: Eastern Standard Time,300,Eastern Daylight Time, blah blah blah.

What edition of CR XI?

When you say duplicate formulas, do you mean use the repository? That would mean at least having Crystal Repoprts Server, which comes with CR XI Pro or above I think, can't recall.

You can always copy and paste formulas from report to repot.

The inserting of subtotals and grand totals was a CR 8.5 thing, it disappeared in CR 9 and I don't think that it has come back in any susbsequent version - yep, annoying...

-k

I have Release 1.
I'm using the Copy/Paste, but liked the Duplicate Formulas function I was shown in training, unfortunately it doesn't appear to be available in my version/release of Crystal.

Thanks for the response. I'll just setup a "Template" report holding everything I need in it. (unitl I can get my hands on crystal enterprise!!!)

In Crystal XI you can't insert a grand total at the same time as a sub total but you can copy the sub total you create and paste it into the other footers where you need sub totals and paste it to create the total. It recalculates based on where it is pasted. You can set the time by opening the central management console ( I am assuming when you say you have release 1 you have Crystal Server) and clicking the "preferences" button on the top right. In there you will see "Time Zone" with a drop down menu. You can select local to server to match the time on your server or manually change the time zones.
Saving formulas you use often is something I am trying to figure out too. In theory we should be able to use the repository but I can only get it to work when I save everything as a command.

I forgot about copy/paste from the Grand Totals. duh.

I create 1 RPT file and paste all the formulas, logos, text, etc. that I use over and over, so no need for a repository; I create my own.

I just recently got XI as well (upgrading from 8.5). Is it just me or is the Refresh Parameter input box worse on XI than it was on 8.5?

You can no longer have blank values for your parameters. Another stupid design change by Business Objects. Again...way to go guys.

Plus the date format in a date parameter totally blows. I'm feeling pretty disappointed by version XI.

I think that XI demonstrates a move towards BOs interfaces and logic.

Some things have improved, but simplicity was never BOs strongpoint.

-k

Speaking of copying and pasting, I just found out that in XI you can't copy and paste a parameter from one report to another like you could in all prior versions. Formulas still work but not parameter fields.

Ken Hamady, On-site Custom Crystal Reports Training & Consulting
Public classes and individual training.
Guides for Formulas, Parameters, Subreports, VB, .NET, Tips and Tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back